Author Topic: Caring for Bonzai Plants  (Read 1579 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Caring for Bonzai Plants
« on: January 18, 2009, 16:22:32 »
A very thoughtful work collegue of my dad's gave my parents a 'Jade Bonzai for christmas. I naturally have been given the job of looking after it/ advising on its care. However I am notoriously 'brown fingered' when it comes to even the easiest houseplants, and bonzai have a reputation of being rather tricky to care for. That said I rather like the plant and would like to keep it alive as long as possible. Can any one offer any advice/tips please?

If it is any help the plant came with a syringe style bottle of some thing called 'Rainbow' which i assume contained a feed to be inserted into the container to 'drip feed' the bonzai. This bottle is now empty of original contents and I now use it the water the plant. Worryingly though it is starting to loose its leaves!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Caring for Bonzai Plants
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 16:30:46 »
I am not an expert and the ones I grow are strictly outdoor varieties so they stay outdoors rain,hail or shine.

I tend to work to this set of rules shown in the link below, but I am sure there is better information than this out their in cyberspace.

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Bonsai/Bonsai.htm

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 22:43:40 »
Do you know the species Richard?  As you call it a Jade Bonsai, is it a 'money plant', so a succulent?  I'm like Tee Gee and have several, but they are all hardy varieties so grow nicely in the garden.  Mum tries, without success, quite regularly as she loves them, but they always do well for a few weeks and then slowely but surely, loose their leaves and die.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 09:19:25 »
No EJ I don't know the variety. All I know is 'jade bonzai'. It has small, round and quite fleshy leaves, but I don't know if i would call it a succulent.

After Tee Gee's advice I gave it a good soak in tepid water then allowed it to drain off. it seems a lot happier now and has stopped dropping leaves. Clearly it was very dry and stressed.

Any further advice would be appreciated. thanks.

70fingers

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 09:25:46 »
I dont have a bonsai at the moment but I have a book called "Indoor Bonsai" by Paul Lesiniewicz.

It says for watering: Moderate in summer; keep dry in winter. In summer and winter alike it can survive for four weeks at a time without water. The cooler the site, the less water needed.

Site Either indoors throughout the year at a bright window, facing in any direction, or outside from late spring to early autumn in a semi-shaded spot. Winter temperature of 8-16C (46-60F).

Feeding Every four weeks from late spring to early autumn using liquid bonsai or house-plant food. Do not feed in winter.

Clive :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal