Author Topic: Asparagus and spent hops as a mulch  (Read 1606 times)

mike.jones

• Not So New ...
Asparagus and spent hops as a mulch
« on: February 27, 2009, 20:58:06 »
Anyone tried this?

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: Asparagus and spent hops as a mulch
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 22:25:03 »
I was brought up in Burton upon Trent so spent hops were plentiful for gardeners.  My dad used to get them, pile them in a heap to weather.

Memory's getting a bit vague.  I think he used to dig them in as a 'soil improver', rather than mulch.

He didn't grow asparagus, but I think what you're suggesting would work well.

I don't think there's much nutritional value in the hops, but they are good for soil structure improvement.  I think they would also be good as a mulch.

valmarg

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 13:44:56 »
I use spent hops a lot, asI can get as many as I want from a local brewery. I find they make a great mulch and keep the weeds down well, although they do sometimes blow away when it's dry. I have used them round asparagus, but it is said that if they are fresh they should not be put near young shoots.
There are a few threads on here if you search. Dear ols Supersprout, a member who is sadly not with us any longer, loved using them.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 14:32:58 »
There are a few threads on here if you search. Dear ols Supersprout, a member who is sadly not with us any longer, loved using them.

Sorry to go off at a bit of a tangent, but I believe it will be two years tomorrow since SS died.

She is sorely missed.  A lovely lady.

valmarg

mike.jones

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 16:42:15 »
Thanks for all your help and for the suggestion to use the search facility. Useful info there,

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal