Author Topic: potatoes and wireworms  (Read 2433 times)

markyb23

• Half Acre
  • Bloke from Stoke
potatoes and wireworms
« on: January 07, 2004, 23:36:39 »
hi everyone,
                   i'm new to allotment gardening.i've started to clear my patch,which has been pretty badly overgrown-mainly with couch grass.i'm hoping to grow some spuds this year.i'd appreciate any advice on how to prevent wireworm damage, or ,if there are any varieties that are resistant to it.
   all the best-markyb.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
Re: potatoes and wireworms
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2004, 02:51:18 »
Hi Markyb

My very first crop of potatoes was attacked by wireworm - same kind of sitaution as yours; newly cleared couch grass.   Not much damage - but enough to set me to find out about wireworm.

The grass was ideal habitat for the little sods - a real happy home for them.  They bred like ...... well, like only beetles can.  

In your plot, last year, they laid their eggs; these will hatch hungry grubs in the spring - and find nothing to eat, except your potatoes!

The good news, is that once they metamorphose into beetles, they promptly fly off to a much more "friendly" grass patch near by - and lay their eggs there!

The problem rapidly diminishes in following years.

Things you can do to reduce the problem this next year

• When you first clear your bed, move the grass turves off the bed (and so most of "your" eggs), and put them on the compost heap.   This alone will substantially reduce your population.
  • Grow potatoes which can be harvested before September in the year after clearing the bed; apparently you will avoid the main damage season.
  • And I've read about making traps - burying slices of potato (attached to skewers) in the bed; check the slice regularly, and replace when the wireworms tunnel in.

Good luck - Gavin

rdak

Re: potatoes and wireworms
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2004, 10:07:05 »
I've heard something about putting some sand in the planting hole and putting the potato on top of that. not sure whether that was to deter wireworm or eelworm though. And not sure what type of sand is best.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal