Author Topic: Vista Password  (Read 1666 times)

Sinbad7

• Hectare
Vista Password
« on: March 26, 2009, 21:00:15 »
My laptop system is Vista which I set up needing a password to be the administrator.  I had been away for a week or so and hadn't used my laptop but when I came home and put it on it wouldn't accept my password.  After a day trying to think of what to do I decided to put it back to the manufacturers settings which meant I had to start all over although I did make backup files.

I've now set up 2 accounts one password protected and the other not so hoping this never happens again

Has anyone else had this problem with Vista?

SPUDLY

• Acre
Re: Vista Password
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 08:37:44 »
No, never had this problem. I have a six digit password on my laptop which i seem to be able to remember. Think i have gone through four cash point cards where i have forgotten a four digit pin ::). Only thing i can think of, was the password case sensitive (capitals and lower case), i find that a reel pain.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Re: Vista Password
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 00:08:20 »
Log on passwords add very little in the way of security, most people who bring their computers in to be repaired don't give me the passwords this just adds a few seconds to the time it takes for me to boot the system.

If you do choose to use a password then it may be worth creating a password reset disk.

• Click on Start and then Control Panel.

• Click on the User Accounts and Family Safety link.

Note: If you're viewing the Classic View of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simply double-click on the User Accounts icon and proceed to Step 4.

• Click on the User Accounts link.

• In the task pane on the left, click the Create a password reset disk link.

• When the Forgotten Password Wizard window appears, click Next

Note: You will need some kind of portable media before being able to create a password reset disk. This means that you will need a flash drive or a floppy disk drive and blank floppy disk.

• In the I want to create a password key disk in the following drive: drop down box, choose the portable media drive to create a password reset disk on.

• Click Next to continue.

• With the disk or other media still in the drive, enter your current account password in the text box and click Next.

• Windows Vista will now create the password reset disk on your chosen media.

• When the progress indicator shows 100% complete, click Next and then click Finish in the next window.

• You can now remove the flash drive or floppy disk from your computer.

• Label the disk "Password Reset" and store it in a safe place.

You only need to create a password reset disk for your Windows Vista logon password once. No matter how many times you change your password, this disk will always allow you to create a new one. However you will need to create a new reset disk if you reinstall Vista.

While a password reset disk can come in handy if you ever forget your password, keep in mind that anyone who possesses this disk will be able to access your account at any time, even if you change your password.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal