Author Topic: Sungold tomatoes -splitting  (Read 4284 times)

rdak

Sungold tomatoes -splitting
« on: August 31, 2004, 10:49:11 »
Have fantastic crops of Sungold and the taste is great- only problem is they have been very prone to splitting- maybe about 10-15% either split on the plant or a few days after picking. They are then very quick to develop a white mould. Has anyone else had this problem? I think splitting is normally attributed to erratic watering, but don't believe this has been the case. Growing next to them are the larger tomato 'Florentino' and very few of these have split.
thanks

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
Re:Sungold tomatoes -splitting
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 11:00:40 »
Ross,

I think they're a bit prone to this -I've grown them 3 or 4 years on the trot and you do get a relatively high percentage of 'splitters'. Worth it for the taste though.

Jeremy

Whose Sungold are refusing to ripen  >:(

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 12:14:02 »
One of the advantages of growing your own is that you can grow thin skinned varieties - the comercial ones have top pass the drop test (12" onto a hard surface without splitting - then you and I have to work our way through the tough bit!).

The slight down side is that they are more prone to splitting - consistent watering should reduce the problem while they're on the plant; to solve the problem of their splitting a few days after picking, eat them as soon after eating as possible.  ;)

The white mould is a fungus that should be kept at bay with plenty of ventilation

Phil

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 12:29:50 »
Yes to all of that. You also get splitting on any variety when the fruit has got 'stuck' in its ripening process. So many this year have that problem. = Tim

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 21:11:08 »
Splitting is the only negative issue I have noticed with sungold, but the taste more than makes up for it. They will definitely be on my grow list for next year.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 22:24:50 »
Consistent favourite of ours too - the splitting on the vine just means you have the excuse to eat them right away instead of taking them home Mmmmmm Mmmmm  ;)
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

reedos

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2004, 21:30:12 »
Excellent - I thought it was just me !!! Been wondering how I could make my watering less erratic for weeks.

I've had loads split, obviously I've had to eat all of these before I leave the greenhouse, just as well I can eat them till I'm sick ;D

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2004, 22:38:15 »
An interesting way of mulching  :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal