Author Topic: Poorly Moppet  (Read 2723 times)

Palustris

• Hectare
Poorly Moppet
« on: January 06, 2009, 15:36:47 »

You can just see the cut on her back hind quarters. It was badly infected and the Vet had to shave some hair off and drain the wound.
You try holding a semi-feral cat which is in pain. It ain't easy.
Now she has had an antibiotic injection and some powder to put on the wound. She did disgrace herself in the Vets with a very smelly accident on the table. And while I was paying she did try to remove a lady's finger tip. Daft thing really to try to pet a growling cat through the bars of its cage I suppose.
Now she has to wear the Collar to stop her licking the wound (Moppet, not the lady,silly!) and consequently be kept in. Not a problem for most people, but Moppet has consistently refused to be fully house trained. I think when she is cured we will have to treat ourselves to a Carpet shampooing machine!
Before you ask just under £50. (for the Vet not the Vax!).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 15:40:05 by Palustris »
Gardening is the great leveller.

betula

• Hectare
Re: Poorly Moppet
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 15:48:06 »
Hope she feels better soon :)

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 16:08:41 »
Did the vet give you any antibiotic tablets to give her as a follow up to the injection?  I hope it wasn't necessary.  Get well soon Moppet. 

http://www.flycatfly.com/Giving_cat_tablet.htm

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 16:20:11 »
No, the injection should last 2 weeks. After years of practice with various cats, I have no trouble giving them tablets, even this wilding!

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 16:53:18 »
Aaaw bless her, she looks so angelic lying there. ;)  How did she hurt herself Eric, or is it like my cat, goes out, gets up to mischief and you never know, just have to foot the bill.  Will she keep the collar on, ours never did. :-[  I hope she is better soon.

T.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 17:00:51 »
Awww bless her, she looks rather sorry for herself in that collar.   :(

Get well soon Moppet.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

noname

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 17:38:40 »
Does she walk backwards? Or was it only Poppy who was that stupid  ???

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 17:40:23 »
They don't like wearing collars, it draws attention to them and makes them feel self-conscious.  Especially if the expression (hangdog or hangcat) on their faces makes you laugh.

Ahhh, bless her, these wounds have a horrible habit of turning nasty, especially if it's been made by another cat.  One of mine had an altercation with a fluffy ginger, and had to go to the vet, shaving, cleaning, anti-inflammatories, antibiotics, £30.  24 hours later I was back again with the other cat; "what, you again?" said the vet, and charged me £35 because it was a bigger wound.

Expensive, but who'd be without them  :) :) :) :) :) :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 17:41:33 »
From the shape and position of the cut, we think she has been got from behind as she has run through the cat door into her sleeping area.
So far she has not really even tried to remove the collar.
She must be ill, she has sat on my knee, unheard of before.
And she can not only walk forwards she has discovered that it terrifies Twiggy, so she chases her around!

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 18:51:52 »
The vet told me that if they get bitten at the back end it's because they're running away (= cowardy custard), if they get bitten at the front end the other cat will probably come off worse (= brave fighter).

Either way, it takes no time at all for the infection to take hold.
The Tuscan Beaneater

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 19:37:30 »
Ive just been explaining to Tony who you are. He remembers Mytton (hope I've spelt it right) Seems to me that you like a challenge. Do hope that the cat is soon back in good health
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal