Author Topic: free range or penned advice please  (Read 1778 times)

KMARKSnr

• Quarter Acre
  • I`m not "young enough" to know everything !
free range or penned advice please
« on: December 15, 2008, 08:35:43 »
Hi all,
         I need some advice please,- i am hopefully about to buy my family a few chickens,but i am not to keen on the idea of keeping them in a pen.
         We are lucky in that we have a large well kept garden about the size of a tennis court,with a 5/6ft fence all around it.
          Would i expect much damage from 3 or 4 chickens,also any advice on which breed would suite this situation the best.
          We on occasion see a cat knocking about (say once a fortnight)- any advice.
          Our garden backs onto a large school field which would be usable evenings and weekends,also holidays.
         Chickens will roost/live in a well made chicken house.

Regards,
                       Mark.
i`m not "young enough" to know everything !

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: free range or penned advice please
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 08:47:15 »
well, if they're anything like our 17 ex batts, they will DESTROY any grass, plants etc..
don't know whether there are any breeds suitable that won't.
ours are in a 44'x22' pen  ;D

RW

• Quarter Acre
    • The Poultry Guide
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 17:24:09 »
My barnevelders do not cause much damage. They also do not fly over the fence.

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 20:45:19 »
Great news that you are thinking about keping chickens.  They are briiliant fun and for a family make great pets.

The one thing that I would be concerened about is foxes.  I know people who bury the fencing into the ground as they dig or let the hens run free and expect to loose a few.  If you can make sure that you can be up to get them out of bed; and have enough time to feed them and put them inside the evening before a secure hen house will be fine. 

We have a large (tennis court size for 15 hens) enclosed area that is secure for the hens having an electric fence.  They can run, flap their wings and are really happy( laying red combs, very bossy!!).  They are great layers and having rather too many eggs we get great compliments from our friends and neighbours.

Bon courage

Alexihen

• Not So New ...
  • At home in Brittany
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 09:26:47 »
When I moved to Cornwall I didn't have a permanent run.  I placed the chicken house on the lawn and bought a roll of plastic fencing and a bundle of those metal road posts that they hand lamps on at night, slim twisted metal with a hook on the top.  I put the whole roll out from one side of the chicken house and pegged it up with the lamphooks pegging right up to the house again.  Every few days I moved the enclosure - really easy to do -  and they had new grass to eat and scratch.   By the time they got back to the first placing it had completely recovered and could be used again.  This way, no grass every got overworked and muddy so the lawn always looked pretty good.  It worked really well and kept them off my plants but really visible so we could enjoy them.  They spent a whole summer like this and seemed really happy.
Alexihen
Loving Life

beanie3

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 20:37:29 »
i have both.....not a big garden but this is what i do......

I have a penned in house plus small run for night so i can lock the door and know they will be safe (well safe as you can with foxes!)

During the day i prop open the door and let them run where they like.  I have a four foot fence and have never attempted to fly over.  There is no denying they have mashed my lawn......

when i have my veg plot doing its thing in the spring i fence that off with a four foot plastic fence and they dont go in.....they will eat the veg leaves if they can get to them though!

for this year we have decided against a lawn and have a fenced off fruit area (black berries and raspberries) - they are just happy to play in our beds (they seem to stay clear of mature plants) they kick the wood chippings everywhere but you expect that.

They are one of the best thing i have ever got there - real treats.  I have four red rhode island girls and one adopted black hen (didnt like next time escaped to live up our walnut tree!)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal