Author Topic: Azadas anyone.  (Read 4224 times)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Azadas anyone.
« on: December 26, 2008, 17:41:01 »
We have been allocated a 1/2 plot. There are lots of weeds, couch grass, bind weed & mares tail. I wondered if an azada would be helpful. OH has just bought a power spade (£25) so don't want to waste money as there is lots we need to buy. Has anyone used this tool & what did you think. ATM OH is digging & I am going over with a fork to take roots out.
Janet.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: Azadas anyone.
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 18:32:46 »
I have one and used it a lot at the plot clearing stage. Much easier on the back than using a spade. I found it very efficient. Mind you a spade - especially if it's a powerspade will do the job just as well.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 18:50:54 »
any chance, anyone, of posting a link to a pic of the make of azada they use? I'm seriously thinking of buying one v. soon, so a recommendation v. much appreciated.

Thanks.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 19:14:50 »

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 19:32:37 »
I'm a fan of the right angled fork type, I've found it very useful for clearing couch infested ground, and am currently using it to help my son clear his overgrown plot of bramble roots... ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 20:34:49 »
It depends what you're getting out. A digging hoe is just the job for clearing nettles, as you can get under the roots easily. I wouldn't use it for bindweed as it cuts clean through the roots and leaves too much behind. With a fork and care, I can get them out in one piece.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 20:37:49 by Robert_Brenchley »

sazhig

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 21:55:48 »
We got an azada from get digging when we had a plot and both DH & I love it. So much easier to use than a spade: less back breaking. We are plotless now but I have still gotten use out of it even in my tiny garden...makes very short work of weeding the crappy stoney beds we have.

tartonterro

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 22:24:26 »
i got my azada from get digging as well - i went for the heavy duty one as the site i had at the time was very stoney, but even in the back garden its good

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 11:34:59 »
azadas do sound good.

what's a power spade?

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 12:09:40 »
We got it from Amazon. Wilkinson Sword, £25. Might be easier to have a look.
Janet.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 15:47:21 »
I  have just bought a Wilkinson Sword 'power spade' from B&Q, and it is like a normal spade but at slightly more of an angle and is sharpened so its supposed to be better for getting up turf.

Have been out all morning digging up couch grass and have to say the power spade didnt seem any better than a normal one - and wasnt that sharp. Found the Azada did the trick much better!

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 15:50:25 »
I get you - I googled power spade and got confusing results. Either the Wilkinson Sword one which looked suspiciously like a normal spade, or some machinery called the same thing.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 19:51:17 »
Another vote for Get Digging.  We bought an 8" medium weight azada, and their right angled fork.  The fork is less useful, but the azada is brilliant, especially for clearing couch grass.  Definitely in our list of top ten tools.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 20:01:49 »
Mine is a medium Azada, have also got a 3 pronged right-angle fork which is great for digging manure into heavy soil once you have dug it over.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal