Author Topic: Spare half garden  (Read 1748 times)

organicandy

• Quarter Acre
Spare half garden
« on: December 21, 2008, 15:29:08 »
Hi everyone, i keep reading that allotment gardens are getting hard to come by, it isnt the case on my allotment site, there are 3 full sized gardens empty and very over grown and i personnaly have a spare half garden which is well mown grass (almost a nice lawn to be honest) but no one seems to want them/ i can understand the 3 rough plots not getting any takers but my half garden could be completley done in 3 good days and growing crops after xmas, it measures aprox 6 yards wide and 15 yards long with nothing more than very short cut grass (no nettles or weed showing) but hey i supose veg growings not for everyone, if theres no takers next year ill just fill it with cut flowers ;D ;D

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
Re: Spare half garden
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 20:04:39 »
that does seem strange.

but then once a woman came to see a newly vacated plot next to mine and it was only weedy, and she refused it, because she didn't want to clear the weeds!

are you sure the council has remembered to tell people about your half plot?

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 22:31:05 »
Let us know where you are- there might be someone on here who'd like to have a plot.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 17:46:35 »
but then once a woman came to see a newly vacated plot next to mine and it was only weedy, and she refused it, because she didn't want to clear the weeds!

You get that sort, but even if they take the plot, they don't last five minutes.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 07:54:05 »
HFW has a database of people offering parts of land for other people to use.

http://www.rivercottage.net/landshare/

Try that and see if you get a taker?

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 09:02:46 »
It needs advertising, the fact that allotments are hard to come by is putting people off bothering to look for one in their area.

If people do not want a weedy plot then the chances are they wont turn into good allotment holders anyway.

We reckon half ours give up within the first year simply because they had no idea how labour intensive and time consuming it would be.

kingston boy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 09:33:44 »

I bet the people in by borough wish we had some spare plots.All ours have a waiting list

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal