Author Topic: bark mulch  (Read 1677 times)

simmo116

• Acre
bark mulch
« on: December 22, 2008, 19:27:59 »
hi gang merry xmas to you all. right now does anyone know where i can get some free bark/chippings mulch in the wolverhampton area? have canvased several tree sturgeons but they all charge...i intend to use it on my pathways between beds.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Re: bark mulch
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 19:33:16 »
Speak to the Council, they deliver it free in north London.

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 19:40:20 »
thanx borlotti ill give them a ring tomorrow.i asked them about compost before but they said they couldn't guarantee qualitee of it

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 19:46:28 »
It is OK for paths, had a few mushrooms growing in it, but as it was for free, can't complain.

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 19:52:45 »
edible ones or the magic pixie ones..... ;D

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 19:53:55 »
Sorry, getting confused, wood chip is OK, just the trees the Council cuts down.  Did have mushrooms growing on the paths, probably the wet weather.  The compost is all the stuff we put in the green bins (I assume)  best to let it settle for a year and not sure if it has chemicals in it.  It was steaming and smelling when they delivered it on our site.  The wood chip is OK but sometimes has green leaves in it, but as I said it is free and whats goes around comes around.  Even with the wood chip paths doesn't take long before the weeds come through.

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 20:04:43 »
ive got hold of some weed suppresent fabric about 200 mtrs aprox so should be more than enough to do all my pathways

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 20:45:16 »
We also get wood chips delivered free by the Council from time to time - but they won't supply it to an 'individual' plot holder, it has to be to the site as a whole (and its unloaded to a designated central area).  So if you have no success when you approach the council, perhaps if you have a site management committee they could contact the council for wood chips for your site.   If its anything like our site and you get a delivery to a central point, you need to be quick as it goes fast!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 21:39:25 »
we can go to the local tip, the wood chips are in a yard next to it and we can pick them up for free, just have to bag them up   :)

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 22:39:47 »
Worth a thought simmo,
Bilston Council would probably 'gift them' after the Crimbo trees are shredded.
Or, don't they do that?
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

kingston boy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 09:21:09 »

I work in the landscape game and have yet to see a bark path look good for too long.Dogs and kids have few boundaries and something nice is not a barrier to fun. Also ,weed will grow on the top of the bark sooner than later.
Besides, what wrong with having the one extra task on the plot of keeping the paths cut and green. After all we do call it gardening dont we ?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal