Author Topic: HELP !!! injured chicken  (Read 1554 times)

B7jac

• Quarter Acre
HELP !!! injured chicken
« on: December 18, 2008, 13:13:44 »
Oh dear ! I have accidentally hurt one of my hens

They were 'free ranging' in my garden, I went out to take them back as usual and they all follow me like a little army ! when all of a sudden two big crows, (i think) flew overhead cawing! which really spooked the chickens who then ran every which way, including under my feet !

I really don't think I trod on her but I couldn't rule it out, but I did kick her ! although I didn't think it was really hard she is now holding one leg up all the time (since yesterday).  I have tried to inspect her leg, but don't know what I'm looking for ! her foot is warm and she can move her claws and doesn't struggle when I inspect it nor does she make any noises.  She laid last night and is still eating and looks perfectly OK apart from holding one leg up, she is only moving around (hopping) if really necessary.

Should I go to the vet (where I know a very costly x ray will prob be recommended) or see how she goes for a few days? I don't want to leave her if she is in pain but she doesent appear to be, although if she isn't using her leg then she must be !
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 13:21:14 by B7jac »
You always love your children more than they love you...

shaun01

• Acre
Re: HELP !!! injured chicken
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 16:35:10 »
i think she will be fine in a few days just keep an eye on her i stepped on one of mine ,they are always round my feet when i go in to the pen she had a limp for a couple of days but she recovered ,
You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 16:45:15 »
Hiya

I nearly gave up on one of mine who was really bad when I first had them and all the others started in on her attacking her.  I took her home eventually and she very slowly recovered - she is now absolutely fine - so persist. 

I doubt vets would give her much help without it costing a fortune!

Let us know how she goes.

Old Bird
 ;D

beanie3

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 23:00:11 »
just keep an eye on her - i am sure she will be fine in a few days - i always trap my ladies feet - not on purpose but i often close the backdoor and the chickens are half in and out  and i have to open the door quick sharp to release the poor little blitters!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal