Author Topic: Father Xmas doesn't exist  (Read 9277 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: Father Xmas doesn't exist
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2008, 22:22:02 »
Oh, come off it - I always knew it was my parents! You don't seriously think kids are thick, do you?

But I've been a supply teacher too - you guard your words.

(I don't know what was said either, only what the papers said was said - nothing remotely like the truth!)

I'm with Trevor on this one.  I suspected my parents and laid a trap when I was 5 or 6.  Okay it was only my slippers but dad fell over them and he was sussed (even if I didn't let on and pretended to be asleep).  I'm sorry but I can't subscribe to this myth for children over school age.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2008, 23:53:53 »
With Trevor and Georgie coming from the north and north/west of London, I expect you have lost it anyway, so  we are not really swayed by your remarks.

Santa is real ask my missus, Randy old bugger she reckons.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2008, 00:14:31 »
Thanks, I will tell my children that they are considered thick.  That will make them feel just great.  She is neither thick or stupid, but she believes and nobody has the right to take away her childhood, definately not teachers!  I think it is a sad household where children can't be children and enjoy a little fantasy.  I have to say, I have been insulted by your comments and I find it sad that you are disapointed at Christmas Borlotti - something I have never ever been.

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2008, 00:34:06 »
Well apparently she told the children that 'she believed' he didn't exist and that their parents brought all of the presents.  Thing is, that's a little hard for 5-7yr olds to understand, I think.  I'm with the majority here, Christmas is a magical time for littluns and that's the way it should stay.  Children are pushed into growing up too quickly these days so let them hang on to every little bit they can.  My son told me when he was seven that he'd known for a while but didn't want to spoil it for me!!  ;D  At the end of the day, not really sure it's a teachers place to tell the children anyway?  :-\

It's wrong to say that all children are aware there's no Santa - wrong, wrong, wrong.  As for insinuating kids aren't as thick as to believe there really is a Santa?  Well, that's a pretty ludicrous statement to make in the grand scheme of things  ::)

Anyway, I'm not worried, I reckon I've got at least one tick on all of Santa's lists this year, yippeeee.   

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2008, 09:22:43 »
Part of the magic of Christmas is Santa.

The joy that Santa gives the kids is wonderful,well worth a few little white lies.

I have yet to meet anybody that has been permanently scarred by believing in Santa.

He does exist anyway,in your heart,so that makes him real .

I have such happy memories of Looking up at the night sky on Christmas eve with my kids.We were hoping we might spot him flying thorough the air,We never did spot him,however we could swear we heard his Christmas bells ringing.Wonderful times,enjoyed by all.

Treat your kids like kids I say,they are not mini adults. :)

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2008, 09:40:11 »
Every Christmas eve we track Santa's progress around the world.

The site is NORAD tracks Santa,sorry can'tget the link.

My Grandkids love it. :)

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2008, 09:51:12 »
Sorry - wrong choice of words and I seem to have caused offence...

grovel, grovel....

What I meant was - children are more sophisticated that we adults sometimes think. They gradually become aware that it's a piece of make-believe - that's part of the joy!  As SamLouise's son said, he didn't want to spoil it for her! In the same way, we taken them to the panto and they go along with it and love it, but they also know it's not "real"; but that doesn't get in the way of the fun and the enjoyment.

Christmas is great, Santa is magic! (But I always knew it was my parents and went along with it because it was part of the fun!)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2008, 17:09:58 »
I figured out that the virgin birth was a fairy tale long before I sussed Santa!

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2008, 22:25:55 »
I have just asked my son when he first realised it was us who left the presents in his stocking- he is 14 1/2. He said he was 12 or 13. He was told by his grand mother when he was 12- he was still not really convinced as we said he was real but last year hubby confirmed it was us. So it is possible for children to still believe in Father Christmas - he is not trying to pretend to believe for my sake as I remember him telling me what his Grand mother said and was obviously a bit unsure and I continued to say he did exist as he was unsure.

Although children at school had said a few times that santa was not real it does not appear to be that often and he did not believe them.

I might add he does not have any brothers or sisters although he has friends who are both older and younger

I do think its is sad for those parents who have children that are told at a young age by other children and then family members then confirm this as Christmas does then loose some of the magic for them.

Simon05

• Half Acre
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2008, 22:37:13 »
the magic goes once you know there isnt a santa, the teacher had no right to tell the children that there wasnt a santa, surely that should be left to their parents. perhaps the teacher should be sacked they shouldnt air their views to children in there care, at the end of the day we all need something to believe in,

Moonbeam65

• Half Acre
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2008, 07:28:23 »
The teacher was right in telling them Santa is a myth but she should have went further and told them the same about god and Jesus and the rest of the crap in the bible.

gardentg44

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2008, 08:36:28 »
santas not a myth a saw him & his riendeers just yesterday
at billingly christmas tree farm south yorks
kes   A man with no money in is pocket at christmas is too idle to borrow.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2008, 08:39:05 »
When I was a kiddie, Santa didn't come to our house :'(

We had to make do with Father Christmas ;D

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2008, 09:03:40 »
The teacher was right in telling them Santa is a myth but she should have went further and told them the same about god and Jesus and the rest of the crap in the bible.

I'll expect they will make there own minds up on that when they are older. Just like you and me.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2008, 09:59:29 »

Go for it! And the crap in the Koran, the Talmud, and the Veda?  Or do you stop short of that?

Moonbeam65

• Half Acre
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2008, 11:07:12 »
No every one of them are total crap and lets demolish every church of every description.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2008, 11:58:29 »
Coming back to the original post, the question about whether the teacher should have been sacked, my answer would be a definite "no".  A severe reprimand and a warning.....yes or even extra training. 

When I was at Uni ten years ago I had two friends who both stayed on to do a PGCE.  One had a First Class Honours and the other a 2/1 Hons.  They both failed their teacher's qualifications because they were assessed as not being strict enough yet both are married and have very well behaved children of their own.  They were judged by an inspector who sat in for a few hours while they were teaching.  Now why weren't they given additional training on discipline rather than be sent away as failures?  In my opinion both would have made excellent teachers.   When they were undergraduates reading Geography they had their hearts set on teaching but it was never to be.

It costs a lot to train teachers and they are in short supply so let's not get rid of people for one error or because they are seen as being not up to the mark.  Ironing out the weaknesses by giving extra training in my view is the most sensible approach.   

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2008, 12:06:58 »
P7 she was a teaching assistant not a real teacher. We always knew that diluting the real teachers with wannabees would end up with these sort of things happening.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2008, 13:25:25 »
P7 she was a teaching assistant not a real teacher. We always knew that diluting the real teachers with wannabees would end up with these sort of things happening.
Diluting and wannabees. >:( i don't think so TA's are just as important as teachers in today's schools.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2008, 15:58:17 »
ACE, all the reports about this show that she was a "supply teacher" not a "teaching assistant". 

Supply teachers are normally qualified teachers who have left (usually due to retirement or to have children) but then apply for supply teaching which gives them an opportunity to work part-time.  She could also be a newly qualified teacher who has opted to do supply work until she can find permanent employment.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal