Author Topic: Late Chrysanthumums  (Read 1478 times)

Mammoth Onion

• Quarter Acre
Late Chrysanthumums
« on: December 07, 2008, 13:03:43 »
My late incurve Chrysanths have all but finished flowering. As they were quite expensive I'd like to keep them and repropogate for next November. Do I treat them the same as Dhalias in the hope of growing them from cuttings?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Late Chrysanthumums
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 13:24:08 »
This information is on early disbuds but storage and propagation is the same.

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Chrys%20disbuds/Chrys%20disbuds.htm

Note the three pictures that are missing are on the compost mix.The slide show on propagation is currently under repairas well sorry about that :(

I am currently rebuilding my website and problems like these are the reason why.

I hope to have the revised site up and running for christmas, however this is the bit you want for now;

Lifting/Storing:

After flowering, plants should be cut down to 100-150mm (4"-6") above soil level, lifted, and placed in boxes or trays of potting compost and stored in a frost free place until required.

It is advantageous to remove all basal growth from around the base of the plant to induce a dormant period and reduce the risk of botrytis.

Edit;

Just nipped out an took a picture of my spray chrysants which are kept in the same manner as early/late disbuds.

I use the paper to split the varieties because when they start 'sprouting' it is easy to get the varieties a bit mixed up which is rather annoying.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 13:45:06 by Tee Gee »

Mammoth Onion

• Quarter Acre
Re: Late Chrysanthumums
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 11:10:49 »
Many thanks Tee Gee, will give it a try and hope for bigger blooms next year! :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal