Author Topic: best way to roast potatoes  (Read 14108 times)

shaun01

• Acre
best way to roast potatoes
« on: December 07, 2008, 15:53:36 »
i have promised my beloved that i will do Xmas dinner this year so has anyone got any ideas on the best roast potatoes and any other tips to help make a fine Xmas dinner please help  :(
You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt.

betula

• Hectare
Re: best way to roast potatoes
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 16:05:54 »
Use goose fat.

Some people par boil,I never do,Use a separate tray to roast them,make sure the fat is well heated before you put the spuds in.

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 16:08:59 »
First make sure you're using the right type of potato - a floury rather than waxy type. Peel, cut into even size chunks and boil for a few minutes til they are going a bit soft round the edges. Drain and dry them back in the pan on the hob, giving it a good shake to stop them from sticking and to rough up the edges a bit. Meanwhile, be heating your fat in the oven - you can use olive oil for a heathy version but for Xmas and a bit of indulgence you can't beat goose fat - you can buy it in tins or jars in any good supermarket. Add the potatoes to the fat and baste well. Then, roast in a hot oven til they are as brown and crispy as you like them. I find this normally takes longer than you think but allow anything up to an hour. Good luck and enjoy!

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 16:12:33 »
 Shaun, i boil mine bring to the boil for about 4mins drain give the saucepan a REALLY good shake about , put into hot fat or oil, i use crip & dry, never lets me down lovely crispy roasties.  "Good luck"  whatever you decide to do.
PS, don`t over cook the veg, small brussels about 6mins  MAX, cook lovely.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 16:54:29 »
Shaun, I am with Rosebud on the parboil, for about 10 minutes, I also swear by using King Edwards as I think they are the best floury potatoes, and like Rosebud a good shake as this makes them break up a bit and it is those rough edges that give the lovely crispy bits.  I use a mix of sunflower oil and olive oil.  They should cook in about 45 minutes on a high temperature.  Good luck.

T.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 17:30:43 »
My OH parbolis them then coats in semolina before roasting- adds a bit of texture and makes them less greasy.

shaun01

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 18:21:44 »
thanks girls i am doing to use king Edwards cut them in to 1 inch slices part boil for 10 Min's

heat my oil crisp n dry iv seen that in the cupboard and baste them cook for 45 Min's ish what gas mark should i use ?

now ladies the only veg the Mrs will eat is carrots n turnip mash and roast parsnips

she is very funny when it comes to veg

or is their some thing you can suggest what about the Turkey is that hard to cook

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 18:31:59 »
Want to come back to the tatties..Delia, the Sainted One, has got it spot-on here....first, start off with the right sort of tattie, as she says,  then take it from there, as Buds has said 8)

http://www.deliaonline.com/cookery-school/how-to/how-to-roast-potatoes,44,AR.html

If yer missus likes carrot & turnip mash - do it! In the spirit of Christmas Harmony give the laydee what she likes ;D

Roasting turkey is dead easy....follow the instructions on the pack it comes in, or if you're buying it fresh from the butcher, ask him.

Or look for hints from Deliaonline 8)

An if it all looks like going a**e up, make sure the wine's good and plentiful :D

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 19:16:27 »
You can cheat with the roast potatoes - parboil for 10 mins, drain, put them in the deep fat fryer for 5 - 10 mins, then place around the turkey for the last 15-20 mins in the oven to absorb the flavours. Sweet as.

;D
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

shaun01

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 19:35:46 »
Want to come back to the tatties..Delia, the Sainted One, has got it spot-on here....first, start off with the right sort of tattie, as she says,  then take it from there, as Buds has said 8)

http://www.deliaonline.com/cookery-school/how-to/how-to-roast-potatoes,44,AR.html

If yer missus likes carrot & turnip mash - do it! In the spirit of Christmas Harmony give the laydee what she likes ;D

Roasting turkey is dead easy....follow the instructions on the pack it comes in, or if you're buying it fresh from the butcher, ask him.

Or look for hints from Deliaonline 8) thanks for the delia lihk hyacinth its got my full attention she has got some good grub this Xmas dinner is going to be a master piece

An if it all looks like going a**e up, make sure the wine's good and plentiful :D

B7jac

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 13:29:05 »
I agree with the others to parboil and then give a good shake around !
But if you haven't tried it then do use GOOSE FAT it is def the best for roasties as is King Edwards ! I sometimes like to sprinkle with a little garlic salt too ! mmm

I do the roast parsnips the same
You always love your children more than they love you...

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 13:08:45 »
thanks girls i am doing to use king Edwards cut them in to 1 inch slices part boil for 10 Min's

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 13:15:36 »
oops!
Pressed post by mistake sorry having bad day.

If you're cutting them into 1 inch slices parboiling them for 10 mins you'll have mash...if you're cutting them that small don't par boil them that long just until the outside softens probably 4/5 mins. And as everyone has said give them a shake to roughen the edges...best if you've drained in a colander water doesn't help the roasting at all.
It also helps to parboil parsnips.

A really hot oven for roast vege but there's always the class with the meat so cook at the meats required temp then increase the heat while the meat is resting...sorry don't have gas oven but i use about 200C on a special roast option i have which has fan and top grill at the same time for 10 mins at the end. i use olive oil and get nice crispy roast potatoes...you need to turn them over part way.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 14:09:36 »
With turkey I usually cover the top with slices of streaky bacon, some knobs of butter and aluminium foil. I take off the foil for the last half hour.Also baste regularly with the cooking juices to keep it  nice  and moist. The relatively long cooking time makes it prone to dry out and you want it moist and succulent. If you're stuffing the turkey don't forget to add the weight of the stuffing to the weight of the turkey before calculating the cooking time and also leave half an hour for the turkey to "relax" once it is cooked out of the oven before you carve and serve.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal