Author Topic: Mantis Owners  (Read 1464 times)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
Mantis Owners
« on: November 29, 2008, 11:04:20 »
I would love to hear from any Mantis Rotavator 4stroke owners. 

1. Are you satisfied with it, would you buy one again?

2.Is it easy to use and start, even after a period of non-use?

3.Can you pull it backwards-does it have a reverse?   My neibour has a large rotovator which he works backward.  He says he feels safer on firm ground.

4.What is the size of the smallest bed it can be used on?  Would I be able to use it along my bean trench aprox. 2 feet by 30 feet?

Mr Smith

• Hectare
Re: Mantis Owners
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 11:19:26 »
I would buy one again but mine is a two stroke and does exactly the same job of a four stroke, 1, yes they are easy to start after a long period, the reason they don't start is because the operator normally floods the engine but if it is in a serviceable condiction it will start,2,Mantis tillers don't have reverse they are that light that they are easy to use and to rotovate the ground you do have to pull them towards you which is not a problem if your neighbour uses a rotovator with reverse it will be something like an 'Howard' which are expensive and big,3, a 2'x30' area would be an ideal space to use a Mantis in, lots of people use them to go between rows of veg. :)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 19:06:51 »
Thanks for that info..  If you replaced your 2 stroke would you buy the same or a 4 stroke.   My family are offering to buy me one for Christmas. 

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 19:39:45 »
I thoroughly endorse Mr Smith's comment's, I have a Mantis Electric. As with all machinery, the moisture content of the soil needs to be right. If it is then the Mantis is one of the best machines, it is easy to handle being only 9,5Kg (20.5lbs). See my articles on Clay Soil and Tillers:- http://www.erowell.co.uk/Gardening/index-g.html
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 14:03:18 »
Thanks larkshall.  I will study your blog.

7oaks plot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 23:18:23 »
Ive had my Mantis 2 Stroke Tiller for 2 years now and i must admit its the most brilliant piece of machinery ive ever had, as others have said its not really intended for digging new ground but what i do it spade dig the ground in the autumn and then go over it with the Mantis to break it down to a fine tilth. As long as the ground isn't too wet it will do this wonderfully. Ive got clay soil but if i do it in the authum its breaks it up with no problem and leaves a lovely flat surface and i also use it when i put my manure down to mix it nicely in. With the Mantis you have to walk backwards with it which mean that you dont have to tread on the newly fluffed up earth, its very light and very very strong and really does the job.

Reading all that back to myself it sounds like im an employee of the company but i can assure you that im not, its just a brilliant machine, as i said ive got the 2 stroke version which apparantly is slightly more powerful but also a bit noisier than the 4 stroke one i should imagine but looking at the new broucher that i was send a few months ago it seems that they only sell the 4 stroke one now anyway.

All the best and if you do get one please come back and tell us how you get on with it.

All the best,

Mark.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 14:09:25 »
Thanks for that info.. I thought the 4 stroke is more powerful than the 2 stroke.  Have I read that wrong on the mantis site.   Also they charge £30 for it to be assembled.  How difficult is it to put together?   Will be sure to let you know how I get on in the new year.  I will check the soil is O.K.

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 15:25:11 »
Thanks for that info.. I thought the 4 stroke is more powerful than the 2 stroke.  Have I read that wrong on the mantis site.   Also they charge £30 for it to be assembled.  How difficult is it to put together?   Will be sure to let you know how I get on in the new year.  I will check the soil is O.K.

Although I only have the electric model, it was extremely easy to assemble. I wouldnt think that the petrol engined models would be any more difficult, they would probably be the same basic units except that one would be the petrol engine instead of electric motor.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 16:25:15 »
i have both versions of the mantis and i prefer the 2 stroke as i can use it with my hedge cutter attachment, i use the mantis all round the allotment  and garden my unclle who i share the allotment with also has one and we dig the potato and bean trenchers in mins as you dig one trench the previous 1 is filled in. turn the tines round and it makes very light work of weeding (but i would recommend gettting the weed reducers).  they are also small enough for me to put on the crossframe of my bike to get it to the lottie. I know its very lazy but i also use in the borders of the greenhouse but not for very long periods of time because of the exhause fumes.
i wouldnt be with out the mantis but i also have a howard 350 for very large areas and ploughing.

You should be able to get it out of the box and have it assembled and using it in around 15 mins its that easy to set up.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal