Author Topic: Keeping Christmas tree water fresh  (Read 10029 times)

Kea

• Hectare
Keeping Christmas tree water fresh
« on: December 01, 2008, 17:56:58 »
Couldn't decide where to put this topic!

I'm not asking how to keep the Christmas tree from drying out i don't have a problem with that but we like to have our tree from 1 december to 12 th Night. The problem is that the water gradually gets smelly and unpleasant by then, like cut flowers do eventually. The smell last year got really bad.....any ideas of ways to prevent this now while it's still fresh?

Yes we have our Christmas tree up ;)

Kea

• Hectare
Re: Keeping Christmas tree water fresh
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 11:10:07 »
I should have posted this in a different spot!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 12:14:33 »
I could lend you my cats.....they seem to think the Christmas tree resevoir is a classy water bowl for them! We end up topping it up every other day because of them, it would never get a chance to stagnate!

On a more serious note, you could try some charcoal in the water to keep it sweet, and make sure you have removed any stubs of branches under the water level that might rot. Or try a few drops of bleach in the water?
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 13:24:53 »
I have never bothered to keep one watered, but thinking about it, the tree would not need more than a cup full to see it through. Try a rubber glove with some water in and seal it to the trunk with rubber bands.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 14:22:21 »
Hi Kea

I would go with Deb P and the bleach I think, or perhaps Milton.  In hospitals they used to add a small amount of Hydrogen Peroxide to the flower water to keep it fresh but I am not sure you can buy it now.  The problem with any of those is the possibility of staining furnishings, it's a difficult one.

The best answer is Deb's cat - or mine as he would do the same I am sure - drinks from anywhere except his water bowl!

Sorry, I am not much help really!

T.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 17:12:42 »
Thanks Deb charchol might do it...I had thought about bleach/miltons but at the end when you take the tree out it drips.

Ace-Tree has already drunk 2 litres after 24 hours!
 That will get less now, it's the stagnant water that's the problem but I try one of the suggestions. thanks :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal