Author Topic: Sheds on Allotments!  (Read 20036 times)

Urban Phil

• Not So New ...
Sheds on Allotments!
« on: December 01, 2008, 13:29:34 »
Hi folks……I’m new to this forum and this is my first posting but I was just wondering if there are any allotment sites out there without SHEDS?

The reason I ask is that I have a plot at Harthill Allotments in Liverpool (the same site as Dan) and the committee have continually actively discouraged sheds and greenhouses on our site. There seems to be no reason for this, other than the secretary doesn’t want them! There haven’t been sheds at Harthill for over 20 years so as allotment holders we took direct action against the committee and built a shed!

The reaction has been just stupid……We have had members of the committee running up to us saying ‘we can’t put it up because the ‘committee’ haven’t voted on it’ etc, etc!

Harthill Allotments is just about the most impoverished of all allotment sites on Merseyside and the ‘committee’ seem more interested in fighting its own members rather than fighting to improve the infrastructure of the site. We are the only site in Liverpool without sheds for gods sake!!!

Does anybody else have this problem?

All the Best

Urban Phil :-(

Ps- you can see our shed on the following link:   http://www.flickr.com/photos/22835312@N03/3017196874

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
Re: Sheds on Allotments!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 14:45:12 »
Surely they should give clear reasons why no sheds, otherwise how can you have a sensible debate?

I can think they could attract vandals

some people might almost cover their plot in sheds (though for me, if they want to, why not?)

But personally I think sheds are one of the best bits of an allotment, especially those wonderful home made ones from old doors.

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 14:56:58 »
Urban Phil welcome to the forum and well done. 
The site I am on does not allow individual sheds/greenhouses which I find a bit disappointing however there each site in the area has one shed. I don't know how sites manage without one at all, we have plot holders who no longer drive so the shed is essential.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 15:01:26 »
Phil and welcome to A4all, it's a wonderful place.

I am no expert on these things but just wanted to wish you luck really.  When I took my allotment on there was no shed and I survived without it the first season but now I have one it makes like so much better.  Even just for sheltering from the rain it is so useful.

On our site we are only allowed 6' x 4', just like the one in your clip I think.  They are all sited in a row at the back of the allotment so look very tidy and are painted in varying shades of green and brown.  Would it be a compromise for your committee to allow sheds under similar rules so that they all look tidy?

I do love some of the lovely old sheds and wish we could have one like that, with character, but I love mine, it is so useful.

Good luck, I really hope you get it sorted.

T.

Urban Phil

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 15:30:53 »
Thanks for the welcome Susiebelle and Tulipa, the 'committee' did say that sheds would attract vandals but if you took that attitude you'd never do anything in life; why park a car outside your front door for fear of the windows going in? Why leave the house for fear of break-ins? There is a risk to everything in life (even allotment gardening) so if your prepared to take the risk why not?

I've had an allotment for over 13 years at Harthill WITHOUT A SHED! And to be honest having one is now a revelation. We contacted Liverpool City Council directly and after some research they found no reason why we couldn't have one and indeed they thought our request to be quite reasonable and granted it. A number of plot holders are now looking into getting one themselves and we've just put in an application for a Greenhouse!

Liverpool City Council asked the 'committee' to come up with a valid reason 'WHY' sheds should not be errected at Harthill..........They haven't given one other than the secretary didn't want them!!!!!

Tee Hee! The ‘committee’ can go and whistle………..

All the Best

Urban Phil

:-(   

ps- talking about sheds with character, try these links: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22835312@N03/2515023628/in/set-72157605203188857

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22835312@N03/2463693709/in/set-72157604873804286

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22835312@N03/2464526150/in/set-72157604873804286

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22835312@N03/2934434382/in/set-72157607959645439
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 15:48:13 by Urban Phil »

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 16:26:27 »
Phil, those sheds are wonderful and I remember Lilo Lil!! ;D ;D

There are a few threads about committees on here if you have a search, and some are good and do a lot to help the plotters and some not so good which will make you feel better! ;)

There are also threads about sheds and someone has a wonderful one which I shall see if I can find.

Good luck

T.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 16:31:45 »
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,44922.0.html

This is my dream shed, I hope Deb doesn't mind me linking to her thread.  I would love one like this.  I can dream....

T.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 16:34:53 »
Just hope your committee don't pull your shed down and then blame the vandals!
Good luck and welcome to A4A.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 17:14:03 »
Well done Phil! (And welcome....)

Most sites allow sheds, but most sites also regulate. (In our case, it's actually built into our lease with our landlords that permission must be sought.) But your committee's appeared to have overstepped the mark. I know you have to keep an eye on the place, but an outright ban? Really....!!

Have you thought of standing for committee? It seems they might do with some new blood.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 17:26:38 »
This is my dream shed, I hope Deb doesn't mind me linking to her thread.  I would love one like this.  I can dream....

Wow that is quite a shed - a fairytale shed!

And Urban Phil - I love those home-made shed photos - that's what I mean by a proper allotment shed!

My old allotment, which I've had to leave behind :( had a boring Wickes 6'x4', but my new garden has a rather weird ENORMOUS shed built out of cement blocks and chip board, with an old door and window from a house. It hasn't got much character, but it does have presence!

I should take a photo sometime when it's light.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 19:52:17 »
As a plot holder you have a right to voice on any topic arising at the meetings.  Ask for valid reasons why you cant have sheds.  Try one year probation period even to see how things go.  Put the topic of Sheds on the agenda for the next meeting.  Get plenty of plotholders there who would vote.  Majority vote rules ;)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

shaun01

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 20:23:54 »
well done for making a stand against stupid rules in your plotters guide it will tell you that yes you can have a shed  ;D go and tell the committee to go and jump .

its not very big shed tho is it more like a loo ;D
You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 23:38:54 »
myself and the husband have been lucky enough to get to know phil and his good lady through an excellent flickr forum that they run,for liverpool allotmenteers,and we were invited to the inaugural opening of their ground breaking shed at harthill allotments.we applaud their pioneering spirit and am happy to report that other plotholders are thinking of following suit.im very pleased to read so much support for them within this thread
rach
xx
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Urban Phil

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 17:12:23 »
Thanks Rach and to everybody for your support. It can be difficult to stand up for what you believe in especially when the ‘committee’ is doing everything in it’s power to isolate you using Chinese whispers and trying make you feel like an outcast simply because you have views different to them. It’s wrong, it’s bullying and smacks of playground politics. I have never liked bullies and I’m certainly NOT going to be intimidated by anybody. The only person I fear is my maker and that is it.

It’s heartening to find I’m not alone in my views. We deliberately found the smallest shed we could to build (ex-display) only cost us £70!! It’s the principle and symbolism that matters……..If they come and burn it down, so be it……..We’ll build another one and then another only bigger and better next time and we’ll add a greenhouse and anything else we can think of. We’ll never give in to these people……as long as I draw breath they will NEVER beat us!

We use to be called The Harthill Wartime Allotment Association but I will swear to god it was more peaceful down here in 1940………If you want a quiet life don’t get an allotment (lol)

All The Best

The Urban Gardener!

:-(
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 17:15:35 by Urban Phil »

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 18:22:41 »
Rules can be changed.I asked for a no chicken rule to be changed and it was.

I am glad we have not got a committee,some committee members can be a real pain,they have the brain of a flea.Others are on a power kick.The only area of life where they may have influence.

Obviously they are not all like that but I guarantee you will come across them.

Sadly in all walks of life ,where groups of people are concerned ,you will find
the ring leader and the sheep,people who are terrified to disagree ,in case they are not one of the group.Pathetic.

Stick to what you believe in and good luck. :)

Urban Phil

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 18:56:46 »
Betula you've just hit the nail right on the head........."The ring leader and the sheep" Spot on; People who are on a power trip and gang up on anybody who doesn’t agree with them and a ring leader who feeds the sheep on mushrooms, keeping people in the dark and s**ting on them!

Well I and others have been s**t on for far too long and “I’m as mad as hell and I’m not going to take it anymore”………Peter Finch from the film Network!

The thing is once they are in it’s very difficult to get them out……….If you go to the AGM’s they gang up on you and try to shout you down, they call it democracy and the majority vote but it’s not, it’s about keeping their power base and acting like a pack of wolves………an allotment committee is suppose to represent ALL allotment holders isn’t it?  Well this committee doesn’t represent me and seems more interested in fighting against it’s own members and Liverpool City Council than improving the site or working in the interests of ordinary plot holders!

All the Best

Fidel Castro

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 18:58:54 »
 ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2008, 10:55:21 »
It's mind-boggling how much power people can get just by shouting louder than anyone else once they've got themselves some petty 'position'. Unfortunately voluntary organisations like allotment associations are vulnerable to this, so we all need to be on our guard!

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 11:17:52 »
I find this extraordinary. I couldn't manage without my allotment shed, not least as a place to go for a brew in this cold weather. Some people have constructed amazing hacienda-like structures with verandas, using old doors, windows and tree branches. Someone has a look-out post which reminds me of the Alamo. It's an essential part of the character of the place.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 12:04:06 »
We are allowed "structures" on our site whether that be sheds or greenhouses or specially built areas for growing show plants etc.

I have 2 greenhouses and one shed......with space for another which I will get next year.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal