Author Topic: Yeah I got my hens!!!  (Read 2411 times)

chloe55

• Not So New ...
Yeah I got my hens!!!
« on: November 29, 2008, 21:13:53 »
Got them today - 2 warrens, a balck rock and a bluebelle! I love them! One of the warrens is such a character, eats from my hand and pecks away at everything  ;D They are now officially known as Peppa Pig, George, Mummy Pig and Daddy Pig  ::) - 2 year old was involved in the naming! So, thank you ever so much to everyone who gave me advice as to what to get and how to look after the hens, I have used a little of all your comments in my choosing x

betula

• Hectare
Re: Yeah I got my hens!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 21:17:32 »
Hope you get lots of lovely eggs :)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 21:41:53 »
Very good - love the names too!

We saw Peppa & George turning on the Christmas lights in our nearest shopping centre last week - eventually I had to tell Annabelle (3) that they were men in costumes, just to stop her from crying over not getting a kiss from Pepe!!

Any piccies?!?!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 21:50:09 by OllieC »

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 22:14:52 »
No looking back now chloe!

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 22:47:59 »
Well done, Chloe55, our chooks are as much part of the family now as the dogs and cats (and horses). Enjoy them, they're fantastic characters  :D

chloe55

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 09:07:33 »
I am so impressed - we had an egg this morning  :D.

I am also amazed at how well our other pets have taken to them. I have a lurcher cross but knew he wouldn't be a problem as I use to vet nurse so have had a wide range of animals I fostered in and out of my door. Was more concerned about the house rabbit as he is pretty feisty and stands his ground against our bigger pets but he has fit right in with the chooks, even sharing his food bowl which is a real shocker  :)

My husband isn't impressed with the size of the egg though (I couldn't care less I am so happy we got one already) - he has asked me to ask though if they will get bigger with age or whether that will be their normal size. I think the warren produced it as the guy we bought them from reckened it was only the warrens who had started laying so far.

The warrens seem to have no fear - the Blubelle and Black Rock are a bit more reluctant to leave the coup at the moment,

chloe55

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 09:08:24 »
Oh and I am being a bit thick at posting a pic - how do you do it? :-[

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 09:15:55 »
There are 2 ways - one is pay a subscription & use the gallery somehow... Although I've paid my subscription and never managed to get the gallery to work...

So then there's the second way which is what I do; use photobucket & copy & paste the code from under the picture (4th one down)...

Can't believe you've got your first egg... I'm still waiting!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 15:14:19 »
My husband isn't impressed with the size of the egg though (I couldn't care less I am so happy we got one already) - he has asked me to ask though if they will get bigger with age or whether that will be their normal size.

When hens start to lay eggs they can be small.  The eggs will continue to get larger as the hen gets older.  Eggs will be their full, maximum size once the hen reaches 30 weeks.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal