Author Topic: Lidl Wine  (Read 2362 times)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Lidl Wine
« on: November 28, 2008, 19:55:00 »
Trying to get into the spirit of the Credit Crunch, we bought some wine from Lidls for about a fiver... It's an Australian Shiraz and not since I was a student have I tasted anything so vile.

Nothing should taste this bad.

Their Norwegian Smoked Salmon on the other hand is amazing - it's been properly starved prior to harvesting and so has none of that rancid oil taste you get on most British stuff.

Just goes to show you... Back to Majestic for me!

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Re: Lidl Wine
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 20:01:53 »
.Their Norwegian Smoked Salmon on the other hand is amazing - it's been properly starved prior to harvesting and so has none of that rancid oil taste you get on most British stuff.
What's this Ollie? Tell me more. Starved salmon? Nothing should be starved so someone thinks it tastes better. NOOoooo.  :o :o
Smile, it confuses people.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 20:09:38 »
Oh, I don't think it's cruel... but hadn't given it much thought though & you know me... always happy to question my preconceptions. It does happen in the wild from time to time - most fish deposit a bit of fat when the times are good & use it up when there's less food about.

Wild Salmon would never deposit as much fat as farmed salmon, because the wild ones get exercise & less food... So, to end up with something pleasant, you starve them for a couple of weeks until most of their fat has been used up. Most supermarket stuff isn't starved, so they can get more weight per fish, and it's the fat that tastes rancid...

I don't think it's the same as starving a mammal... could be wrong though!

hellohelenhere

• Hectare
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • http://backgardenallotmenteer.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 20:26:51 »
My usual cheap wine policy is just to wander around Tesco/Sainsburys/whichever and look to see what's reduced, so rarely go above 4 or 5 quid for a bottle.

Laithwaites do a brilliant deal - as an introductory offer to their 4 Seasons 'wine plan', you get 15 bottles for 40 quid. (Plus 6.99 postage). You can opt out of the plan (which is, every 3 months, a case for 70 quid) thereafter if you don't want to continue; or stay with the plan but cancel for any quarter you don't want; and you can cancel at any time. I haven't done this myself, but a friend did, and said they were brilliant to deal with, and didn't make any objection to him getting the opening offer and then cancellng the plan.

I might repost this in the Bargains section...

hellohelenhere

• Hectare
  • Reading, Berkshire
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 20:27:42 »
Oh and apparently, Aldi are the better one for wine; my aunt gets some really good stuff there.

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 20:35:47 »
With regards to wine Im easy.....steady! ;D

I like only German white wine....I have tried umpteenth bottles of the red stuff but found nothing I like.Maybe its because its served warm or at room temperature and I like mine chilled.

Never tried Lidl wine but Aldi used to do a great Niersteiner but stopped selling it for some reason.I now buy mine from Sainsbury's and only a few quid a bottle.Suits me fine,and my pocket!
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 21:22:02 »
Sainsburys local do their own brand of red wine for £2.38(or near to) and it's quite nice.

Neil

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 21:29:35 »
Any cheap fizzy white wine for me, I only use it as a mixer with brandy. I drink red when I am France, usually delivered from the back of a transit van in 5 litre containers.

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 21:30:59 »
The location of our local Lidl means I tend to avoid the people in there rather than the goods!  The handful of times I have been in there, I've picked up a few bargs though :)  Luckily for my OH and I, my best friend is a teacher and gets inundated at the end of summer & Christmas terms with wine he'll never drink and so gives it all to us  :D

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 23:50:03 »
I cant speak fo Lidl, but Aldi.....'yuck'

A couple of months ago a store opened next door to where I work, so we popped in now and then for a bottle of two and in my opinion we just totally wasted our money as the wine was horrid and left my cheeks tingling which I hate, so we vowed never to buy wine from there again!

We much prefer to go to Tesco and select the fabulous half price wine deals they have there....well we drink enough of the stuff to know a half decent wine or two  :-X  ;D

hellohelenhere

• Hectare
  • Reading, Berkshire
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 01:06:30 »
SamLouise, talking of locations of cheapo supermarkets, I went into my then-local Netto on Peckham high street one time, and some women had a fight (more of a shove and a shout-off) in the entrance area. Class! :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal