Author Topic: Wind Chimes?  (Read 6928 times)

tedd

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments4All
Wind Chimes?
« on: August 26, 2004, 16:49:01 »
Has anyone got a method of silencing these gadgets that some people have in their garden?

We find them annoying both during the day but at least we can put a radio on if in the garden.

At night I often am awakened by the random dong ding ding ding.........coming from 2 gardens away. We have large gardens.

I have tried very politely asking my neighbour if she would mind silencing them at night. At the time she was very apologetic and took them in immediately. 6 months later they sounded off again and have carried on for a year.

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
Re:Wind Chimes?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 17:52:43 »
Sorry Tedd guilty as charged .I love 'em,i find them very soothing.Oh dearThat doesn't solve your problem at all does it?
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

doc steve

• Half Acre
  • i aint realy here
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 18:13:55 »
i ususaly find scissors do the  trick niceley  ::)

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 18:42:57 »
I tie a ribbon around my windchime (the pole bits) to silence it, otherwise I bring it indoors. You could pop a ribbon into an envelope with a note asking her to do the same in the evenings, perhaps this will remind her that not everyone appreciates the charming sound they make.  :)
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 19:04:19 »
Sorry tedd, guilty here too, ::) we have two different size bamboo chimes in our very small garden that I find quite soothing on the ear in unison with the trickle of water from the pond and rustle of the Bamboo plantation. :)

I do get annoyed when they are drownded out by our neighbours hip hop music (I think it's called). >:(

But you did the right thing in asking and if a neighbour asked me to silence them at night then I would, perhaps another member of the family put them out? Politley remind them again, that it's disturbing your sleep and if that don't work keep on reminding them they will soon take the hint;)

Roy ;D

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 19:29:07 »
 ;DKnow what you mean Tedd. I love the look and the idea but put some outside the front door and I could hear them inside, drove me bonkers, they soon came down and are now stuffed in a drawer somewhere.....anyone want any wind chimes? ;D
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2004, 10:59:26 »
I love mine. I got bamboo ones, which make a much more natural noise.

I remember about a year ago - one of the neighbours dogs kept barking throughout the night, keeping everyone awake (I could hear people yelling at the creature to shut up). It kept me awake for a few nights and I was getting really fed up with it. I had two options:
1. keep being annoyed at it and not sleep.
2. accept it and sleep.

I chose to do the latter and it really worked. Sometimes it's so much easier to change your opinion about an annoyance than to change the situation. You have control over your mind, remember. give it a try.
gone to pot :D

Pixie

• Acre
  • Chorlton the magical happiness dragon
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2004, 11:07:11 »
Mother loves them and has about 10 dotted around the house and my Dad hates them so they are generally found on the kitchen table/ behing the sofa/ in the bin and Mother just re hangs them - cycle restarts! ::)

Sam
"Jump in, we'll take you for a spin, and show you round the Wheelie World..."

Jak

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2004, 15:27:54 »
I hate them - noise pollution!  Neighbours have recently put some up and they are driving me nuts - I can no longer relax in my garden. :'(  I live in a fairly heavily built up area and on quite a busy road, but usually, pottering around in my garden I can shut everything out ...everthing but wind chimes that is! >:(  Fortunately, I sleep on the other side of the house!  :)
When the tide of life turns against you, and the current upsets your boat.  Don't waste time on what might have been, just lie on your back and float.

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2004, 15:56:54 »
 ;DIt takes a lot to keep me awake Aquilega ;Deven when I want to be. ;DI did think if the chimes annoy me then they must do the neighbours, but I do like the bamboo ones, they aren't so tinny, If I had a bigger garden I'd probably have some.Its one of those things..love 'em or hate 'em.Dong.Dong :-\

tedd

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2004, 17:36:31 »
Thank you folks. It is good to know that others are not in love with these things. I find the random noise is like a door that keep rattleing or bumping, is irritating. It draws my attention from other noises or thoughts like an itch.

Our gardens are large and look over woods and fields with distant hills so we have lots of birds and other animals such as frogs to listen to. I dont mind the chimes during the day, even though the owner is out at work so cannot appreciate them.

My neighbour are moving shortly so may take their chimes with them. If they dont I shall ask the new owners to silence them when not in the garden.

At one time after being kept awake for about 5 hours I went into the garden after breakfast to see my neighbours relaxing on a lounger in the sunshine. I did contemplate playing tubular bells or brass band music on my hi fi and pointing the speakers in their direction but I resisted.

The really annoying thing about that day was he took the chimes down and she put them back later before they went in.

PeteA

• I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2004, 08:49:30 »
I wish my problem was just wind chimes :)

As a night worker who sleeps during the day I have to put up with lawn mowers, jackhammers, unsolicited phone calls, neighbours power tools, kids riding up and down pavements on motorbikes, and on and on.

I've learnt that, as I can't do anything about it, if I ignor it all I can sleep through it all.

Pete  

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2004, 00:31:35 »
to all that have problems sleeping? through noise
any chemist can sell you earplugs. These are soft wax you mould and pop into each ear perfect dad used them when he use to start our old tractor it was noisy and they are not expensive and work a treat.
Teresa

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2004, 05:52:56 »
hey come on love thy neighbour and all that  :-\

maybe a solution for the wind chimes  :o well maybe not a solution :(  but a meet you half way thing / compromise !

ask your neighbour to make it play a tune you Like !!!! ;) ;D

ever thoughtful

Carl
« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 05:53:27 by carloso »
another member of i forgot my password

Granny_Smith

• Half Acre
  • Of course its me - who else could look like this ?
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2004, 09:07:31 »
Some neighbours you just cannot love !!!

We had one neighbour who got the local brass band round to her house for band practice every Friday evening at 8pm and then arranged for the church handbell ringers to arrive every Saturday morning at 8.30am. Not to mention the hours of practice she put in on the piano and tuber every day (remember my reaction to this with her budgies in the cage adjoing our wall?) and we live in a mid-terraced house !!!
When we approached her about the noise levels, we were the ones accused of being unreasonable.

Get those windchimes removed now before it's too late.
Granny is still your best friend !

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2004, 18:05:45 »
 ;DAfter that lot wind chimes sound postively melodious ;D ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2004, 19:54:47 »
The local EHO is very useful in such cases?

People come to the 'idyllic' Cotswolds & leave because they can't stand the noise of the collared doves. And they come from London's 24hr noise & light pollution.

Maybe they should rent an offshore island? No - seagulls! And the sound of waves?

Probably our least favourite thing is our neighbour's ride-on mower - an hour of it every time. He wears ear protectors!! = Tim

« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 19:57:03 by tim »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2004, 23:14:13 »
I don't mind all of the gardening noises.....I guess coming from Surrey, well, south west London really as we were right on the doorstep of Wimbledon, I spent my childhood living on a very main road with buses and lorries all day and night, plus we were on the gatwick/heathrow flightpath so aircraft continuously, plus mid terrace, so neighbour noises, one side with 2 dobermans barking all day, so lawnmowers and windchimes are bliss!  I love to hear kids out playing and shouting enjoying the outside, I love to hear people enjoying their gardens out cutting the grass, I love to hear the horses over the way neighing in the morning when I am hanging my washing out, I love to hear and watch the little planes coming in and out of Southend airport, and the swan that sweeps overhead.    aaaahhhhhhh

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2004, 11:06:32 »
 ;DI don't mind people noises either Emma but the tinkling of those wind chimes just seem to drown out all the normal everyday stuff. Sounds crazy doesn't it.I guess its a form of Chinese torture ;D

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2004, 14:55:12 »
Have to disagree about bamboo windchimes being better than metal ones. Clunk clunk clunk all the time is as bag as clang clang clang. The small windchimes that tinkle tinkle tinkle all the time are OK by me. Oh dear, I've gone a bit loopy loopy loopy.  :(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal