Author Topic: do these toms have blight?  (Read 2857 times)

lydsy

• Not So New ...
do these toms have blight?
« on: July 12, 2009, 12:15:13 »
Hey all. do these toms have blight? There are NO marks on the leaves, or white patches or anything. I' m worries cos we;ve had so much rain!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1856133&l=1d7287254f&id=503439196

The one with the really big brown patch is near the cane supporting the tomatoes. could it be a bruise?

Thanks much appreciated

amphibian

Re: do these toms have blight?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 16:15:23 »
I don't think I've ever seen blight appear on fruit first, most likely blossom end rot or rubbing against something.

grahamjohn

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 16:56:58 »
Hi Lydsy.
My tomatoes got blight the past 2 years and yours certainly look the same as my fruit did.
The brown blotches appeared on the stems and leaves as well as the fruit though.
regards, Graham

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 17:01:48 »
I am not convinced that this is blight.  I thought it looked blacker and more unpleasant.  Whole fruit will go black quite quickly.

You will soon find out the whole plant will die in a matter of days.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 17:09:44 »
blossom end rot

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 17:59:55 »
I also go for blossom end rot
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

amphibian

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 19:58:27 »
Are they in the ground or in pots?

What's your watering routine?

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 23:32:29 »
It`s not blossom end rot, which always starts at the point where the blossom has separated from the fruit (in this case it hasn`t), but if the only symptom is this one mark on this one tomato, and nothing on the foliage, then it isn`t blight either.

I go for purely external physical damage - probably bruising.

lydsy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 10:33:55 »
Hmm I've been watering them regularly when it isn;t raining. One of the plants has leaves which are curling up, a bit like when you roll your tongue. A few little brownie dots on them too. Someone tells me it is magnesium deficiency?!

amphibian

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 22:02:06 »
If you can take a picture of the overside and undersides of one of the affected leaves, we'll be able to help.

You mention not watering when it rains, but unless the level of rainfall matches your normal watering routine, which is unlikely, this may still constitute erratic watering.

For example I water my tomatoes, which are planted in the ground, with two pints of water, on Saturday and Wednesday. I water through a pipe that is embedded into the root area at planting out. Now two pints directly to the roots is a lot of water when compared to typical rainfall, if on Tuesday night I got 12mm of rain, this would not provide the plants with anywhere near the amount of root zone water they'd get from me watering, so I still water them anyway.

If your tomatoes are in pots, rainfall is unlikely to provide them with much water at all.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal