Author Topic: Where are all  (Read 2019 times)

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
Where are all
« on: November 25, 2008, 12:24:13 »
the Greenfinches this year?

I was digging up my sunflowers at the lottie, when I realised instead of flocks of Greenfinches and Goldfinches on the sunflowers this year, I 've had only Goldfinches

I've not seen a Greenfinch for a long time, is this just Lincoln or is it Country wide?/ shades x

grow your own way

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
Re: Where are all
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 13:34:10 »
yep i noticed a real drop in their numbers around here to :-\

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 13:59:10 »
Well I have about 6 altogether (greenfinches), not many compared to a few years back when I was counting up to 20 or more.  I also had loads of goldfinches this year up until recently but I haven't seen one for a couple of weeks.  I had one lone goldfinch on a nyger feeder. but as I said in the other thread the sparrowhawk was picking off a gold finch about every day.  I had to stop feeding the birds in that area because it was goldfinch cafe.  Greenfinches are susceptible to salmonella and I have had quite a few casualties in recent years.  I do hope your Greenfinches return.  Once we get really hard weather and that will be soon the finches all seem to turn up again.  I have started looking for the siskins along with the greenfinches.  Now chaffinches are still very common in my garden and as I said in the other thread the Tits in all forms hae had a very good breeding season in this area because I haven't seen so many feeding.  The Sparrowhawk was around this morning  I chased it off a couple of times because the Blackbirds weren't aware of it sat in the tree. 

:( :(

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 16:14:07 »
lots of greenfinches and chaffinches, not a goldfinch here in the north west  :)

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 17:24:56 »
I have greenfinches, goldfinches and chaffinches, also a lovely bullfinch and his wife, but unfortunately I havent seen his wife around for a few days which is a bit worrying as they are always together, but I wont give up searching for her, hopefully she is around somewhere.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 13:41:05 »
there was a virus that knocked down the greenfinch population earlier this year, but the numbers seem to have increased again, and  I've had a lot more recently at our feeder. Perhaps they've moved south for the winter?
You couldn't make it up!

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 16:18:36 »
 :) maybe so tonybloke,

I've seen one greenfinch since i posted, so things are looking up ;D/ shades x
grow your own way

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal