Author Topic: Wind breaks  (Read 2897 times)

mrf94

• Half Acre
Wind breaks
« on: November 19, 2008, 19:37:42 »
I am going to build a windbreak on my allotment , I wondered if anyone else has, And what advise they have,

Ive done my googling and read my mind to over flowing,
So now need some practical to go with the  theoretical.

MRF94

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
Re: Wind breaks
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 19:57:35 »
I use green netting that they put under fly overs or electric power lines to stop thing falling on the road when they are working on them, and they are quite effective as wind breaks.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 22:31:38 »
why not build a 4ft picket fence, out of pipe pallets 8ft long and 4ft wide, from your builders outlet, you will beable to grow up it if you need to,
like fan fruit trees, and the wind will blow through the gaps in the fence and not blow the fence down,
my allotment
heaven

mrf94

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 18:42:38 »
Thankyou both.

Iv,e decided to go with both your ideas, A fence then a net, our allotment
is very windy and the tunnels are taking a bashing, they stand up to it
 well but  the extra protection wont harm them.

mrf94

Bionic Wellies

• Acre
  • That many spuds !
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 17:06:05 »
Hi,

I know, its been a while since the last reply - but have been reading a magazine over Christmas that had some windbreaks shown and I thought that one in particular was kinda neat (referred to as a "low-level baffle").

It was built from a sheet of clear corrugated plastic/perspex (the stuff that folk use as roofs on car ports - and the winds of autumn rip off!).  The sheet is held vertically by a couple of stout posts jabbed into the ground on either side of the panel.  Seems to me that this not only provides a windbreak but also allows the sunlight through so that plants don't suffer from being in the shade.   
Always look on the bright side of life

mrf94

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 20:20:17 »
Thankyou for that info, I googled    low level baffle   but got nothing 
but i,ll persevere
 thanks

mrf94

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 20:26:25 »
That has given me an idea. Nearly all conservatory makers/builders have a skip in their yards usually full of  triplex offcuts. This is the stuff that the roofs are made of.

Get/make some roadpegs out of re-bar. Hammer them in the ground two together and slide the offcuts inbetween.

Cheap, movable, any height, recycled junk.

You could even make coldframes out of the stuff with a hot pointy thing and couple of packs of cable ties.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 23:09:29 »
Some lottie holders on my site have planted a row fruit bushes as a windbreak.  Raspberries,  black berries, red currant,  black currant, ;)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal