Author Topic: Council leaves  (Read 6337 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: Council leaves
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2008, 22:42:09 »
Well, I can report that freecycle worked for me. I got five or six offers and spent a nice hour or so this morning chatting to a lovely lady while we raked up and bagged enough leaves to fill the back of my car. She had broken her leg recently so was glad of the help, so we were both happy.

I think our council puts them straight in a trailer, so not much chance of any bags that way.

Slightly off thread, but how do you store your leaves? I know the two usual ways are either in black bags, or in a wire mesh container, but these two methods would seem to be completely different environments. What are the pros and cons of each?

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2008, 11:50:03 »
Slightly off thread, but how do you store your leaves? I know the two usual ways are either in black bags, or in a wire mesh container, but these two methods would seem to be completely different environments. What are the pros and cons of each?

i store mine in a darleck compost bin. the only thing as its not open to the elements you have to make sure the leaves a very wet so they will rot faster.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2008, 15:25:29 »
Last year I got them from under the trees in the supermarket carpark on Sunday after it had closed...this was so my teenage son would help.This year I just collected them already bagged from my friend who lives next to a church with many large trees over her fence. i just replaced her black bags after two trips including coffee I have 20 bags full with virtually no effort on my part! ;D
She also has an open fire so she's going to save the ash for me as well. I just need to grow more so I can 'pay' her back.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2008, 17:26:31 »
I knew you would twig it Amazing. ;) Borlotti I have loads of bags stacked up now, including all the ones I swept up from the park, but as you say there are loads of bags along the roadside and still more loose along the road, maybe if our neighbours from Barnet want any they only have to HOP on to the 307 bus at the Arkley Hotel to Brimsdown and keep up the good work Caroline you might find you'll have more offers than you can cope with.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2008, 20:26:19 »
Yeah, today I saw the first "Offered- leaves" ad on freecycle- I restricted mine to within a few miles, so got about 4 or five offers then posted that I'd got enough!

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2008, 09:33:21 »
This is how the council collects leaves in my area, so no packaged bags lying around for me to collect, but the grove of 11 oak trees in the front of my house sheds enough for me to collect a builders bag full each autumn :D.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2008, 11:58:38 »
Just walked back from the plot past a lady who had been sweeping leaves out of her garden from a tree on the pavement.  She was about to take six huge bags to the dump.  Guess who's taking the car round there later!
The Tuscan Beaneater

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal