Author Topic: japanese onion seeds senshyu  (Read 3050 times)

hazelfhr

japanese onion seeds senshyu
« on: November 28, 2008, 12:26:20 »
can anyone tell me when to sew japanese onion seeds senshyu yellow i'm new to gardening but have been told these are mild onions and i would try these but dont know when to sew them .

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: japanese onion seeds senshyu
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 12:55:13 »
Mine are in the ground :)

Are you growing in an allotment? You need to make sure that you have good drainage and you might want to wait for a spell of warm weather to help with germination :)

Good luck

Cam

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 13:37:31 »
Personally I would say you are too late now for this year.

I have only grown them from seed a couple of times, and I wasn't really happy with the results.

But then again at that time I wasn't quite sure how to grow them or more to the point when to sow them.

Since then I find planting 'setts' the easiest way to grow them so I don't bother with the seed route anymore.

In fact this year was the first time in many years I have grown 'main crop' onions from seed and I was quite happy with the results. So much so I might have a go at growing some 'large' onions this year.

:o Which makes me think if I am going to do this I will have to be starting up within the next 4-6 weeks if I am going to get any success ::)

This is how I did my Japanese Onions ; http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Onions%20(Japanese)/Japanese%20Onions.htm

I don't know what seed sowing facilities you have but it might be worth while using just a few of the seeds you have and grow them like this;http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Onions/Onions.htm

Who knows you might have a bit of success i.e. nothing ventured nothing gained!!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 15:52:57 »
hiya, hazelfhr..welcome to the site  ;D
we're about to sow our giant onion seeds, apparently they have to go in in december.
as my husband is in the 'grow the biggest onion' competition on the site..
sorry, our senshyu seed was sown in august and they were planted out in early october  :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 17:34:20 »
Mine were planted out early October.    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 23:25:33 »
My Senshyu seed packet was very precise about when to sow - as I recall it was the last two weeks in August and possibly up to the first week in September in milder areas
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 16:24:45 »
Second or third week in August is the best time to sow them.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal