Author Topic: Who knits then???  (Read 10572 times)

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Who knits then???
« on: November 16, 2008, 16:12:45 »
Just putting feeling feelers out to see who would be interested in helping knit a kind of friendship blanket for a charity?

It would only be a case of knitting a couple of squares each out of double knitting wool, from yer stashes. What else would you do with it?

If there's enough interest, it would be nice to get this underway before and ready for crimbo  ;D ;D

More details later depending on how many want to join in ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

littlebabybird

• Hectare
Re: Who knits then???
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 16:17:56 »
hi Star i know you know i want to play already but i thought i would post to bee formal like :)
what size squares do you want?
can the kids play to?
(yes all 5 of them can knit, but shhhhh dont tell anyone that 17 yold son can coz he will sulk)

lbb

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 16:25:12 »
Er, the last time I knitted anything it was a little cardigan for my mate's lad when he was born 23 years ago and it took me so long he was walking by the time it was ready and it didn't fit him!   ;D

I doubt I've got any wool  ::) and have no idea where the knitting needles are but if you are desperate (and you need to be!) I'll volunteer.  I'll need instructions though - I have no idea how many stitches I'd need to cast on to make the size you need - and in fact I'm not certain I even remember how to cast on. 

G x  (Useless but willing)
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 16:28:03 »
I can do a few,providing it is just plain and pearl :)

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 16:29:01 »
Hi Georgie

depending on what size squares star wants, if you look at the ball band it will say on it a number of rows and stitches that will make a 10cm square :)
but either star or i will help you i'm sure :)

lbb

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 16:31:32 »
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 16:35:03 »
how many stitches would be needed for 4-ply, only I know someone who has a lot of brown left over and how many times would she need to double-up on the stitches to approximate double-knitting?  :-\

(oooh, I am SO good at volunteering other people) ;D

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 16:37:25 »
Way back when I was working I could buy wool/yarn quicker than I could knit it, so am more than willing to help.  Just give us a rough idea of stitches/rows needle size, as a lot of the yarns I have are pre metric ;D ;D

I'm assuming you just want stocking stitch squares, rather than anything fancy. :-[

valmarg

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 16:39:52 »
how many stitches would be needed for 4-ply, only I know someone who has a lot of brown left over and how many times would she need to double-up on the stitches to approximate double-knitting?  :-\

If memory serves me Hyacinth, if you knit two strands of 4ply together, you get D/K.

valmarg

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 16:49:52 »

aww lish does cj know you are nominating her
lbb

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 16:57:25 »

aww lish does cj know you are nominating her
lbb

Not yet she doesn't ;D

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 17:10:23 »
I usually only do baby stuff nowadays but can probably find some DK so count me in.  Which charity, Star?

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 18:02:53 »
Right I've tipped the drawer under the bed out and found three pairs of needles.  Does it matter what size I use?

Hi Georgie

depending on what size squares star wants, if you look at the ball band it will say on it a number of rows and stitches that will make a 10cm square :)
but either star or i will help you i'm sure :)

lbb

I'm gonna need help.  ;D

I'm assuming you just want stocking stitch squares, rather than anything fancy. :-[

valmarg

I hope so but what's stocking stitch?  Is that one row plain then one pearl?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 18:09:52 »
Me, Me.  Just tell me number of stitches etc. etc. and will get knitting.  Got an easy pattern for easter chicks, body is a cadburys creme egg, if anyone wants it.  A bit early I know but it is a very, very easy pattern and little children love it.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 18:14:29 »
Me, Me.  Just tell me number of stitches etc. etc. and will get knitting.  Got an easy pattern for easter chicks, body is a cadburys creme egg, if anyone wants it.  A bit early I know but it is a very, very easy pattern and little children love it.

You're having a laugh right?  ;)  ;D

Seriously though, Borlotti, where can I buy wool in Enfield?  The shop I used years ago in Lancaster Road has closed down and I don't think Pearsons have a haberdashery section any more do they?

G x
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 18:16:43 by Georgie »

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2008, 18:14:52 »
Georgie,Not sure,have not knitted anything for over twenty years.

I think tension matters as well :-\

I tried to remember casting on,just slip the stitch over to the other needle.

Be fun to have a go again. :)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 18:17:22 »
I LOVE knitting but I'm absolutely cr*p at it. I'll do some squares Star, I surely can't muck them up...can I? ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2008, 18:19:18 »
Georgie, Pearsons do sell wool, I think it on the top floor, poked away in a corner.  They used to have cheap double knitting wool as I used to buy it when I had a phase of knitting soft toys.  Charity shops sometimes sell it.  Was the one in Lancaster Road so full of wool you couldn't get in and the woman could never find anything. Not surprised it closed down.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2008, 18:21:13 »
I think you check the tension by knitting a square in stocking stitch that's bigger than 10 cm square, then mark a row, count 10 cm then mark that row, and then do the same for columns.  That way you'll know whether you nit tightly or loosely.  If you have too many to the 10 cm you knit tightly, therefore need larger needles to get the right tension, if you have too few you knit loosely and would need smaller needles.  Or knit a larger or smaller size.
The Tuscan Beaneater

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2008, 18:23:49 »
Georgie,Not sure,have not knitted anything for over twenty years.

I think tension matters as well :-\

I tried to remember casting on,just slip the stitch over to the other needle.

Be fun to have a go again. :)

You bet tension will matter when I have a go at this!   ;D  Seriously though I'm sure you are right and I cannot remember whether I'm a loose or a tight knitter.   ::)

I was half joking about remembering how to cast on but I've just recalled something about knitting into the back of the stitch to make a neat edge? 

Star, what have you started?   ;D

G x

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal