Author Topic: planting fruit  (Read 1057 times)

vague

• Not So New ...
planting fruit
« on: November 15, 2008, 18:28:45 »
Just wondered if anybody knew if it is too late to start thinking about putting fruit in the ground?

Was hoping to get some strawberrys and fruit bushes,  in but have been put back by bad weather :(

Also, is there anything veg wise that can be planted at this time...my allotments looking quite bare!

Cheers   ;D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: planting fruit
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 18:39:23 »
Welcome to the site.  You can plant overwintering lettuce such as Winter Density or Valor but will need to start off in seed trays.  As for fruit - You may get in some raspberry canes if not you will need to wait till Feb / Mar.  It is possibly a little too far gone for strawberry plants to get established in the ground now.  You could leave strawberry plants in their pots over the winter period,  ensuring their roots are not exposed to the cold.  Rest the opts in a greenhouse sitting on some straw or shredded paper.  Rhubarb crowns can go in now or February.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 18:56:19 »
hiya, vague, welcome to the site  ;D
all of what kt says, garlic can go in, it's supposed to be on the shortest day but we've put ours in now..not sure about broad beans and winter peas as we don't grow them  ;D

vague

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 19:00:20 »
Cheers for the welcome, will see what I can get in. ;D

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 19:55:22 »
broad beans, peas, winter lettuce, garlic, wait 'til midwinter for shallots, the ground here is still warm enough for tree and shrub planting. ;)
You couldn't make it up!

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 20:45:28 »
Hello and welcome Vague :D

Good luck with your plot ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

vague

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 13:56:34 »
Thanks for the welcome and the advice :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 22:00:58 »
Bags of time Vague...  ;D

adeymoo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 17:50:47 »
Vague

I, like many I am sure are waiting for their fruit deliveries. Fruit trees / bushes are lifted and delivered as bare root when dormant which apparently is getting later. So I expect to be busy at the end of November / December. After that the best time is March. If you get fruit bushes / trees in containers they can be planted anytime apparently. With my order I am expecting strawberries (bare root I think) which I will plant in the prepared beds which will of had fleece over it to warm the soil - if it needs warming in our Easr Anglian region.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal