Author Topic: Rain rain rain!!  (Read 4831 times)

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
Rain rain rain!!
« on: August 25, 2004, 15:40:40 »
Hi ,
When will these rain stop? Rain rain rain it's ruin all my vegetables down in the plot. Some of my vegs start bolted not even taller than 3 inch!

adamhill100

• Half Acre
Re:Rain rain rain!!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 16:38:09 »
My plot is a complete bomb site..... Have made plans to getup and weed and seem to get rained off everytime :P :-[

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 17:07:17 »
Just had 7mm in less than 10 min! = Tim

Dorothy

• Not So New ...
  • Hi there!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2004, 17:21:13 »
Up here the sun is shining and the sky is blue. :D

It certainly makes a change from the rain that we've had over the past few weeks.  Maybe summer has arrived here at last.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2004, 17:33:04 »
The weather here in Brum is typically Scottish, sunny at the moment (5.30pm) 8) 5mins previous it was persisting down. :'( I always think of Billy Connolly as seen on TV saying (in a scottish  accent please) "Ask me what the weather is doing here in Scotland and it will be fine and sunny, ask me in 5 minutes and it will be bucketing down".*#@*# :o

Roy Roflmho ;D

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 18:24:11 »
rain rain rain is all we've had here in leicestershire lately. all the plants i had staked were beaten down and have had to be done again. i had to make a dash to the greenhouse for tomatoes for lunch, too many raindrops to dodge!
however this afternoon for a couple of hours i have managed to re-stake and tie things and launch an attack on the hundereds of dastardly caterpillars on my 3 cabbages (small garden!). given up on the nasturtiums, they had to go to the compost!
still, at least there is no watering to be done, and weeding this afternoon was easy-peasy!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004, 22:30:41 »
Took number one son to the plot this afternoon to pick some prize winnning veggies for the show, and within 5 minutes, the thunder started to roll and the lightening cracked.  I looked at him, he looked at mummy for comfort and reassurance, so we headed for the shed.  Just in time as the heavens opened.  I don't recall ever having seen rain fall from the skies as hard and fast as it did!  It hurt to stand out in it.  The noise was amazing and number one son, perched on his chair shouted at the top of his 3 year old voice....'Oh my God', and he beamed from ear to ear.  An excellent mother son moment as we stood in the door way and chatted about mother nature and how good the rain is really, and how dreadful it would be if it didn't rain.  He told me that the rain is mother nature having a wee and flushing....and the thunder....well, use your imagination!  ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004, 06:49:28 »
The mind boggles!

After the 45mm a couple of weeks ago, it's eased up here - only 17,7,11,&10mm in the last 4 days. = Tim
« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 07:36:39 by tim »

Pixie

• Acre
  • Chorlton the magical happiness dragon
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2004, 07:42:23 »
EJ thats soooo lovely  ;D

My mum used to tell me it was God moving his furniture!

Sam
"Jump in, we'll take you for a spin, and show you round the Wheelie World..."

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2004, 10:01:42 »
How lovely EJ! Really bright boy you have there.

I emptied the ice cream tubs full of water onto the compost heap (it is quite dry - believe it or not) yesterday at 10am. By 4pm it had rained two or three times for a few minutes (really short showers) but there was half an inch of water in the tubs!

I actually miss watering the garden - I love it. It gives me a chance to check on everything in the garden a few times a week. We have a good chat and I see how they are growing and if they need anything. I rather miss it.

And my tomatoes have now given up going red!
gone to pot :D

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2004, 15:22:04 »
I am so glad that we got a shed now - not a complete bombshell the previous tenant left - it doesn't look like I have any photos of this (apart from a few where it is in the background and a bit dark) - it had holes in the roof. No wonder the plot got a bit neglected last year - from about September onwards.
Thinking of wandering down shortly to see what there is and perhaps to sow some Japanese onions (if my son lets me).
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2004, 21:00:49 »
one thing was good about all these rain almost filledup my massive pool. It was nearly empty last month. Beside that I still have another 6 water buckets.All full up.See how much rain we have in this August.

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2004, 21:25:34 »
Good grief, Yuetlee!  :o That's some pool you've got there! What are you planning on doing with it? Practising diving for the next Olympics!?!  8)

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2004, 21:36:36 »
I don't know how the last person who had this plot bring this pool down there? Now my dog love it.She diving in it not me!!

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2004, 21:42:01 »
If the weather we are getting does get to you she may need it. It has finally got above 30C (31.5 to be exact), lows above 20C tonight, very humid too, but the soil has suddenly gone really dry. July has finally arrived, weather wise. We are supposed to get this most of next week too. Then there is a chance we will have to deal with what is presently growing into a huge hurricane out in the central Atlantic.

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2004, 21:44:24 »
 ;D Maybe you should have a lifebelt handy just in case! It looks big enough and deep enough for fish. Do you plan to dig it into the ground or are you getting rid of it altogether?

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2004, 21:57:26 »
Yes I did plan to dig it in the ground. But my husband said 'you can digged yourself. Is too heavy,it hardy moved that d**n thing.' She did nearly drown. Now I put a big stone so she can comeup by herslef.
Nice to have a chat with you all.Thank you.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2004, 12:28:44 »
I have got an awful feeling that we are now into Autumn, and we have now had our summer.  It is starting to grow dark at 8.30 pm ish here in W/Bay.  Doesn't seem so long ago that I was weeding the lottie until 9.00pm.  It is a lot chillier in the evenings and we have started having our gas fire on.

Another ominious sign is in my nightly ritual going around our garden in the evening to count frogs - the past three night there hasn't been any.  I am wondering whether they have started looking around for somewhere cosy to nest.  Hope I am wrong and September turns into a warm dry month.  Not quite ready for a change of seasons.  My poor sweet corn still struggling away - the highest barely reached four foot.  Ah well!  There is always next year.  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2004, 16:45:54 »
Well, it has been Wind, Wind Wind here today but I hadn't realised how bad it was until I went to the lottie today. >:(  Big dahlia bush flattened, sweet peas blasted, galdiolii blown over, hollyhocks bent over, fushcias and pelagorium pots blown over and a corns swaying very badly.  Thought most were staked properly but obviously not! :'( quick re-staking and picking gladioli and more corns tho the orange beonias are useless for this year now.  In between still had a couple of heavy showers.  Our plot is in a sort of wind tunnel so it was unlucky but Who Needs Weather.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 23:57:34 by Wicker »
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

tina

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2004, 18:21:28 »
erm, sailors??

Have taken up another hobby which perfectly compliments gardening........if it's too windy to garden, it's definitely ok for sailing!! Frustration of it being too wet to go and dig stuff is relieved by a serious sail.  When the win drops, I can go and weed to my hearts content!!

Better still, after hard days sailing, get veg soup from lottie produce!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal