Author Topic: Best Chilli?  (Read 5249 times)

portsmouth30

• Quarter Acre
Best Chilli?
« on: November 13, 2008, 22:19:34 »
Can anyone on here recommend a hot chilli that grows well here on the south coast?

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Re: Best Chilli?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 10:34:26 »
Just about any of them will grow:  if you start them off indoors in Feb/March,  they can go outside after the 'last frost' date (late April, I think, assuming you're around Portsmouth) onwards although they'll do better under glass.

I reckon the East European and Mexican/South American ones tend to be hardier than the Southern Asian, reflecting their originally climatic conditions.

I'm off on hols for a couple of weeks, but if there is anything in particular you're after PM me in December and I'll let you know what I've got available.

portsmouth30

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 10:41:41 »
Thanks for that. Filled the grrenhouse with them this year, but am after something nice and hot to try next year

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 10:53:44 »
I'm off on hols for a couple of weeks,

Have a great time Barnowl!

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 11:12:49 »
Thanks  Ceres :)

If you want something hot and decorative  Orozco and Pointsettia  can be quite impressive. (Orozco usualy need to have the growing tip pinched out to get them to bush.) Neither is particularly tall.

http://www.chileseeds.co.uk/hot_chili_pepper_seeds_4.htm - about one-third down the page

The chilli seed company seem to have a lot of new varieties developed by some Italian chap (Mario Dadomo)  that try combine heat and visual appeal.

http://www.chileseeds.co.uk/hot_chili_pepper_seed.htm

(By the way Ceres, I've had another confirmation the Fortex will be sent in Dec)

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 18:49:31 »
Can I jump into this thread?
 I am looking for a smallish hot chilli for drying for next year. What has grown well and dried well for you?
I will be growing them in a unheated greenhouse.
Many thanks.
Oh by the way - had tamarind and chilli pavlova at Wagamama - what a revelation!!

portsmouth30

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 12:53:06 »
I had both Pretty in Purple and Iranian Round this year, both small and dry well; grew them in an unheated gh and there still going strong now

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 22:01:44 »
Sounds good, thanks Portsmouth.

Mammoth Onion

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 20:48:30 »
Have just finished havesting the last of my "Friar's Hat", it's hot enough for me!! ;D

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 21:56:29 »
Can I jump into this thread?
 I am looking for a smallish hot chilli for drying for next year. What has grown well and dried well for you?
I will be growing them in a unheated greenhouse.
Many thanks.
Oh by the way - had tamarind and chilli pavlova at Wagamama - what a revelation!!

Apache or Praire Fire have both done really well for me. Small bush plants with hundreds of small hot chillies.

calamityjayneuk

• Half Acre
  • Stanley, Co Durham
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 22:28:09 »
Can I add my question too?

I want to know what chillis do well in the north - I live in Co Durham and it is flippin baltic up here.

I have an unheated greenhouse. Last two years I have tried 'early jalepeno' from Real Seeds, but have very limited success. This year only managed to get enough for 1 batch of chilli jam and that was it!
 ;D
When I'm not working, I'm diggin' or craftin'

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 22:56:11 »
Here in Derby we have done well with Ring of Fire, Habanero and Numex in a cold greenhouse, pics in another thread on this page.
 :-\

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 13:30:52 »
The best tasting drying chilli I have grown is piri piri. They are incredibly prolific, I make chilli chocolate with this variety.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal