Author Topic: Apple ID - Can You Help  (Read 1478 times)

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
Apple ID - Can You Help
« on: November 13, 2008, 16:11:59 »
I have fairly old apple tree at the rear of the allotment plot that I inherited a couple of years ago.  The apples have a crisp, acidic flavour.  I think it might be Worcester Permain, but not sure.  Advice welcome.[attachment=1]
Keep Calm and Carry On

Tulipa

• Hectare
Re: Apple ID - Can You Help
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 16:46:45 »
Hi Hopalong,

Your best bet is to get them identified somewhere like Wisley.  In October they have a harvest weekend and I took along all our apples and they identified them for us.  We have 7 very old trees which were part of an orchard probably dating back to the thirties.  They also had a huge apple tasting area with an amazing variety of apples to try and lots of different permaines - I hadn't realised there was more than one!  But that would mean you having to wait nearly a year so I hope someone can help you in the meantime.  If not I certainly recommend it. :)

T.

http://www.recklessgardener.co.uk/news/RHS-taste-of-autumn-events.html

http://www.qype.co.uk/events/196284-A-Taste-of-Autumn-RHS-Garden-Wisley-Woking

hopalong

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 17:00:50 »
Hi Hopalong,

Your best bet is to get them identified somewhere like Wisley.  In October they have a harvest weekend and I took along all our apples and they identified them for us.  We have 7 very old trees which were part of an orchard probably dating back to the thirties.  They also had a huge apple tasting area with an amazing variety of apples to try and lots of different permaines - I hadn't realised there was more than one!  But that would mean you having to wait nearly a year so I hope someone can help you in the meantime.  If not I certainly recommend it. :)

T.

http://www.recklessgardener.co.uk/news/RHS-taste-of-autumn-events.html

http://www.qype.co.uk/events/196284-A-Taste-of-Autumn-RHS-Garden-Wisley-Woking
Thanks Tulipa. I'm going to Wisley soon, so I'll see if someone there can help me with identification even though I've missed the harvest weekend.
Keep Calm and Carry On

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 17:05:20 »
Wisley does apple ID all year round for members.  They need the apple plus a bit of twig and leaves.  They charge £8.  Details are on the website and in the members handbook.

hopalong

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 17:12:29 »
Wisley does apple ID all year round for members.  They need the apple plus a bit of twig and leaves.  They charge £8.  Details are on the website and in the members handbook.

Should have known that, ceres.  I'll look it up in the handbook.  Many thanks.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 17:35:26 »
Sorry, yes I had meant to add that in but got carried away typing about the tasting. :-[  I had wanted to go back and do the tasting bit again this year to choose a couple of new trees but couldn't make it.  Will have to wait now. ;)

T.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 19:06:55 »
When does the apple ripen? Worcester Pearmain is a fairly early one, which is ready in early September.

hopalong

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 19:08:17 »
When does the apple ripen? Worcester Pearmain is a fairly early one, which is ready in early September.

Can't be Worcester Pearmain then. The apples ripen in late October/early November.
Keep Calm and Carry On

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 21:02:40 »
I have a Worcester apple tree and those fruits look exactly the same as mine.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal