Author Topic: A disappointing response  (Read 7285 times)

Gardengirl

• Hectare
A disappointing response
« on: August 25, 2004, 09:45:16 »
I know perhaps it is early days in the competition, but I am a little surprised at the lack of entries in some of the categories, especially the vegis.  As a non-allotmenteer I was looking forward to seeing all the lovely produce you hard working peeps have produced.  Come on all, lets have something to judge when it comes to the polls ;) :)

Pat
Happy gardening all...........Pat

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
Re:A disappointing response
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 09:56:52 »
I've still got a few to enter, sweetcorn, runners, marrow. I may be lifting to maincrop spuds as well but that depends on the weather a bit.

I have loads of stuff though that I will not be harvesting yet, wrong season. Leeks, parsnips, sprouts, etc.

And there have been loads of stuff that is long finished, braod beans being a prime example.

Maybe we should have a spring, summer and winter show?????

I also suspect not all of us are lucky enough to own a digital camera making it easy to load pics to the site....

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Chantenay

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 10:04:14 »
I would dearly love to join in and so I spent most of yesterday following the instructions for posting an image. I can't even set up a "holder file" on my desktop. I keep telling myself I would not give up if this was a cauliflower (my bete noir - not grown one yet - but I will) but it all seems too hard.
Chantenay.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2004, 10:18:34 »
Please don't get me wrong - I am not being critical, just looking forward to seeing the fruits of your labours.  As I said before, not knowing about these things I reckon the timing is maybe not right for some of the vegis.

Chantenay - if you are having difficulty I am sure some of the experienced people here could help you if you explain exactly what the problem is.  You can always PM if you don't want to take up the main threads.

Pat

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2004, 10:41:09 »
GG I shall be posting if the weather allows!! Was picking sweetcorn in the midst of a thunderstorm yesterday. Took a whole selection of photos, roasted up all the veg, and of course when I went to download them they were all blurry!! We ate the evidence! :'( But will try again! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Pixie

• Acre
  • Chorlton the magical happiness dragon
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 10:47:54 »
I'II be joining in soon!

Just have to get a couple of hours to myself to work out how to download and put pics on  ;D

Sam
"Jump in, we'll take you for a spin, and show you round the Wheelie World..."

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004, 10:48:18 »
It is really awkward with veg - lots of things are either in the freezer/stomachs or are on second sowings and not ready yet!

I don't have a digi camera but borrowed one hence the focus in the close-ups is way out!!   My veggies are just as picked and the flowers have been squeezed in corners of the lottie (oooh that sounds fun!)

Never mind it's not a really serious comp is it? ::)  ;D
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2004, 11:30:22 »
Glad to see some more piccies on their way :D  

Wicker I know it is not really a serious comp but just thought this would be a good opportunity of seeing alot more photos of peoples successes than perhaps we would normally, had there not been a competition :)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2004, 11:46:50 »
If peeps don't have a digital camera then it is a palava taking the snaps, sending them off to be printed and then scanning them before putting them on the screen.

I do intend to do some more, but have been without a motor for a couple of days - failed MOT  :'( - but all being well, this avo or tomorrow I will be back up the plot to get some more piccies.

It is late-ish in the season I guess, I mean, all my peas have gone and are in the freezer or tummies and the late ones are only just in flower.  

Give it time, I am sure peeps will get posting....AYE TIM??

Chantenay

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2004, 12:34:44 »

You can always PM if you don't want to take up the main threads.

Pat

I can do what???? Duhhhh!!!
Chantenay.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2004, 13:57:51 »
Send a Personal Message, I didn't know what they meant when I first joined. ;D

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2004, 14:32:53 »
Sorry Chantenay - should have put it a bit clearer.  If you look at the side of each message there is a little scroll type icon which is the instant message.  Click on that and you will be able to send a personal message to the person you choose.  Hope this is clearer.

Pat

PS You will note at the top of the page it tells you how many personal messages you have received in your message inbox.  It will soon become clear - we all struggle to start with - I still have alot to learn believe me ;) :)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2004, 14:43:43 »
Chantenay, an easy way if you just wanna post some pics, and not necessarily have an online album, and you have them already on your computer at a reasonable size, then try www.imageshack.us.  You do not have to become a member, just hit the browse icon, select your photo, double click on it, then click on the host it icon and after a couple of seconds you will be faced with a list of different ways to host.  I copy and paste the first one on the list as it has the image codes already included and it works a treat on this site.  easy peasy lemon squeezy  (well, it is now Ava showed me!  ;D)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2004, 15:02:23 »
Emma, that Image shack is dead easy, 8) I just followed your instructions and there it was, my new pond in full colour. :) Thanks for that, it was "easy peasy lemon squeezy". ;D

Roy. ;D

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2004, 15:15:02 »
It is early days yet, I think a lot more postings will come.
Image shack is good. I believe they host pics for 12 months from date that you first put them on ;)    Jim....
Cheers .. Jim

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2004, 17:41:06 »
Ooooooooh, Chant, look what you've done to the thread hahaha. Maybe remove this picture and reduce it before posting again?

Chantenay

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2004, 17:53:04 »
Sorry everyone - I did not realise you could delete. I have learnt so much today - thanks to everyone - EJ is a goddess!! - and as a special reward here is a picture of this year's baby blackbirds.
[/img]
Chantenay.

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2004, 18:16:24 »
Actually I was pleasantly surprised to see how many entries there already are, if you figure the show just openend last monday and many people, like me, only go to their lotties twice a week orso. I do miss entries by some of our seasoned members tho' but I'm patient.

I agree that much of the nice stuff from the lotties is already gone, that's why it was suggested to do it different next year if........this show took off and it looks like it did.

If we take our pictures for next years' show between 1 Sept 2004 and 1 Sept 2005, save them and have the show from 1 Sept to say 10 Sept. Most people will be back from their vacation time by then too. Maybe have a veggie show and a flower show running at the same time.

I never dreamed there would be so many catagories, Multiveg is going to have a big job putting a poll with names on all threads with multiple entries.

I sent a PM to Dan and asked if he could combine the two french bean threads and delete one.

Oh what wonderful stuff we grow together, I so much enjoy seeing it all. Hat off to all those who posted. Hope I can make it to the lottie this weekend and take some pictures too.

Ps: I see the problem with the two french bean threads is solved, great.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 18:20:42 by ina »

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2004, 20:58:55 »
For the duration of the show I've enabled easy picture posting for everyone - now there are no excuses for not showing your produce!

Cheers

Dan

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2004, 21:39:37 »
Looks like I spoke too soon - since I started this thread the entries have come flooding in - sorry everyone :-[ :-*

Great to see so many lovely photos of such mouth-watering produce.  It is going to be very difficult to judge I am sure.  Thanks Dan for the extra photo posting facility :)  and Chantenay - well done, lovely photos, more to come I hope :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal