Author Topic: What size?  (Read 3785 times)

portsmouth30

• Quarter Acre
What size?
« on: November 09, 2008, 18:36:33 »
What size should my allotment be? Have no idea what they mean when they talk about rods! Measured it today and it was 78"X28" is this about average?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: What size?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 18:39:58 »
yes, ten rods /poles should be a fraction over 300 sq yards.
78x28 is 242sq yds if your is feet. If it is inches as you posted you have been robbed!!  ;D

portsmouth30

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 18:47:35 »
Was meant to be feet, get confused easily these days!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 18:51:40 »
yes, ten rods /poles should be a fraction over 300 sq yards.
78x28 is 242sq yds if your is feet. If it is inches as you posted you have been robbed!!  ;D

Good job we've got a maths teacher among us!

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 22:16:01 »
I thought the figures in inches were a plot measurement... just not for veg...

;D
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

mike.jones

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 12:46:24 »
So is there a standard allotment size ie.  a national standard or not. I note Saddad that you mentioned 10 rods. Are all the plots on your site that size. If so we are being done because mine is 100m 2     so I make that 4 rods ? and would that be a half plot?

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 12:59:03 »
Traditionally plots were 10 rods which was held to be what you needed to feed a family for most of the year.  However, times have changed and you'll find many shapes and sizes of plots now.  With the current fashion for allotments, many sites are splitting plots down to half and even quarter plots.  Comparing the size of your plot with plots on a different site doesn't mean anything.  Have a look at your own site - are there different sized plots?  If there are larger plots, do they pay a different rent?  It's usual for half plots to pay less.  Is there a policy of splitting plots when they become available to make more plots?  Or was the site set up with 100m2 plots?

mike.jones

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 13:09:22 »
Thanks for that Ceres, very helpful. All the plots on our site are the same size so clearly that is the standard size for our site. Then we get the question of costs because I pay £25 pa for a half plot which does seem expensive compared to others on this forum. I am on the Allotment committee and a newbie at that, and was accosted!!! by some of the 'Characters' on our site about the recent hike in prices. I said I would bring it to the attention of the powers that be.... Silly me, when will I grow up?

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 13:34:48 »
Thanks for that Ceres, very helpful. All the plots on our site are the same size so clearly that is the standard size for our site. Then we get the question of costs because I pay £25 pa for a half plot which does seem expensive compared to others on this forum. I am on the Allotment committee and a newbie at that, and was accosted!!! by some of the 'Characters' on our site about the recent hike in prices. I said I would bring it to the attention of the powers that be.... Silly me, when will I grow up?

There is a huge variation in rents as well as size.  Here's a thread from last year:

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,37173.0.html

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal