Author Topic: Mini-Greenhouse Deluxe!  (Read 2647 times)

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
Re: Mini-Greenhouse Deluxe!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 11:19:20 »
This sounds really good.  Am I right in reading the info on size which translates to approx 6ft by  6ft.    How would you stop it blowing away in a strong wind.  Would be interested to hear from anyone who has a similar one.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 00:45:25 »
I've ordered one as I'm going to put my other mini-greenhouses in it over winter to save on space. I'll be throwing guy ropes over the top and securing them either side to keep it from disappearing off down the road in a breeze.

PS for guy ropes read clothes line.

;D
Lesson for life:

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 01:19:14 »
The pic looks 6ft high by 6ft long, but not 6ft wide, perhaps 3ft ?

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 15:02:24 »
I have just rung up about it.   Nice chap answered but did not know. Promised to ring me back which he did.  It is approx 7 feet high in the middle and 6ft by 6 ft.  The postage is £7.99.  Still sounds  a good  buy.   What do others think?

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 00:22:55 »
Mine arrived today. Haven't tried to put it up yet, but had a quick peek. It's basically a larger version of a Mini Greenhouse and with thicker tubing. The cover is the same as the heavier, reinforced MG cover, you know the green one with the squares? It'll certainly do for the price. I'd have been tempted anyway - even if just for the material to make spare covers for my other MGs!

I plan to put all my other MG shelving inside along with some Wilko's cheap staging to try starting some stuff over winter - there won't be enough hours in the day come Spring for all the seeds I've bought, though of course I'm not an addict as you know.

Not so worried about it blowing away as being carted off by some thieving barsteward. If it ain't nailed down... concreted in... electrified...etc
Lesson for life:

STEVEB

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 21:40:48 »
a good price but i find that the replacement covers normally cost as much as the full kit
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 00:15:48 »
let me know how you get on with the winds :)

Tyke

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 00:27:28 »
I bought a very similar one in March this year. It lasted just a week. I tied it to the fence with wire and string.  I couldn't put all the guy ropes into the ground as it was on a patio, but did half of them. I added heavy wieghts on the poles on the floor - bags of compost and the base of a patio table.

We had a period of very windy weather  and it blew away over night. It lifted over the 6 foot fence it was tied to and was ripped to pieces as it blew down the street. strangely enough, all the pots that were on the floor of it were unmoved and one set of staging was still in place. It must have lifted straight up in the air!!!

I was worried when i saw the wind blowing under it - the uplift was immense.

So my advice would be not to put anything in it you really don't want damaged, and to use all ropes and anything else you can. Still, for £25 it might be worth a gamble....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal