Author Topic: Flu jab  (Read 6192 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Flu jab
« on: November 08, 2008, 19:47:23 »
Got a letter from doctor about the flu jab.  If I don't want it have to respond and then he is not responsible if I get it.  (I am over 65, just).  Apparently if you have the jab you can feel ill for a few days.  Anyone else got any views on this as I am afraid I binned the letter but perhaps I am just being stupid.

debster

• Hectare
Re: Flu jab
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 19:51:49 »
well hubby is under the impression that the last time i had the flu jab i was really ill afterwards to the point of being admitted to hospital although it could be a coincidence. i am offered the flu jab cos i have asthma.
i asked my gp what he suggested he said he could not advise me cos if i did have it and didnt get the flu it may not be due to the jab equally if i did have the jab and then still got flu it would be cos the jab was against a different strain  :-\

i have made the decision to see what i am like this winter without it so im sorry cant advise you either way, do you have any immune deficiency problems or asthma etc?

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 19:52:24 »
I'm not 65 but I'm asthmatic so I get called in too.  I was persuaded by my GP 3 years ago to have the jab along with a pneumonia jab and I was ill for 3 weeks.  I won't have the jabs again.  I've just had flu for the first time in many years but it didn't affect my chest.  I know if it goes into my chest to get to the surgery or walk-in centre for antibiotics and to get nebulised.  I'll take my chances.

springs

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 20:21:20 »
I'm asthmatic and have flu jabs every year. Ihave had them for years with no ill affects. Had flu years ago and i never want it again. Your choice

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 20:40:45 »
Don't be daft - just go for it. The first time I had one I suffered from what I thought might be flu for a couple of days. Rubbish! Flu lasts months & you can die of it! (More people died of flu in the the six months after WW1 than did in the 4 and a bit years of WW1!)

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 20:56:57 »
I am with Trevor and Springs on this, I have the jab every year as I am asthmatic and I would hate not to.  I have had real flu twice and that is enough, it is awful.  Borlotti I would go for it.  I had mine 3 weeks ago and no after effects and never have had.

T.

Busby

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 21:02:07 »
never again will we have a flu jab !!!! Both my wife and I, acting for what we thought of as the best were terribly ill for weeks - my wife was in hospital with pneumonia and was on the verge of death.

We'll rely on our natural reserves in future.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 21:02:24 »
I have the flu jab every year because I am diabetic.I have had the pneumonia jab ,you only need that once.

I am sure it can not give you the flu as they inject you with dead virus.

There are many strains and each year I think they pick the most common one.Not sure but think that is the case.

I have had two bouts of flu,the worse in the seventies,I have never felt so ill in my life.The second one in the nineties,very ill again.

I think it is worth having.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 21:09:44 »
Nothingham trams offer it to all there staff, I've had it for the last 4 years with no ill affects,  mind you i still get man flu ::) ;D

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 21:27:43 »
Like Tulipa, I'm asthmatic - (I have also been on life support for a prolongued period due to septicaemia and multiple organ failure!) - and have had the jab each winter for years and have never had any kind of adverse reaction.

'Flu could kill me. 

My dad, 94 in a couple of weeks, is also very grateful for the protection offered by the jab, has had it for many years and has never had any ill effects.

If we weren't fortunate enough to have it offered through the NHS at no cost to us we would both be saving up to have it done privately.   

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 21:31:20 »
I've had flu twice in my life, dreadful both times. The first was just bad luck, the second was immediately after my first flu jab. My friend who is severely asthmatic is slowly recovering following a horrendous experience after getting the pneumonia & flu jabs together. Never again for either of us. But then, neither of us had any idea we'd have such a reaction to it.

To answer you more directly Borlotti, obviously you won't know until you try it - and you may be bouncing with health afterwards! - I think my advice is simply to be aware of the possibility of feeling ill.
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 21:37:44 »
Nothingham trams offer it to all there staff, I've had it for the last 4 years with no ill affects,  mind you i still get man flu ::) ;D

Man flu................................. ::)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 21:40:01 »
I agree with Tulipa and Grandma flu could kill me too. Id rather feel a bit ill after the jab, thats only happened once though in 5 years ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 21:49:56 »
Not going to have it myself, as on the two occasions I did I had another strain of the flu virus and was horribly ill.Just bad luck, I know, so I do try to eat lots of fruit and veg and keep as healthy as poss.
Amazins advice I think is probably the best way to go, you really wont know until you try.
Smile, it confuses people.

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 22:07:54 »
my GP told me(when I had a reaction to the jab)  that some people feel ill after there flu jab if they have a mild intolerance to eggs as it is cultured on eggs.
Me and my two sons have had to have a special one not cultured an eggs as one of my sons has a allergy to eggs and me and my other son had a bad reaction to it last year. He has to have different ones for all of his immunisations but they cannot do the MMR that way so I am currently deciding to risk the one cultured on eggs :-\
I am glad I have mine and especially the pneumonia one which dose not stop you getting pneumonia just lessens the affects as it gets your body ready to fight it and as I have recently had pneumonia and was really ill God forbid what would have happened if I had not had it

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 22:13:43 »
I'd just add that, even without suffering any major ill effects, some people do feel a bit wobbly or light headed straight after the jab, so allow yourself a bit of time for a sit down afterwards before heading off, just in case.
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 22:36:13 »
The majority of people who have the flu jabs have no ill effects whatsoever.  At our Surgery folk who have had the jab are asked to sit in the Waiting Room for a 10 minutes or so in case they feel dizzy. 

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 22:46:33 »
The majority of people who have the flu jabs have no ill effects whatsoever. 

And the majority of people who have the 'flu jab don't get 'flu!

Shirley

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2008, 13:31:17 »
I had the fly jab for the first time this year, along with the pneumonia jab, with no after effects whatsoever.  (I used to enjoy saying I'm too young to have the jab!!) So will probably have it again.  My husband, who has all sorts of allergic reactions, due to an overactive immune systems, refuses point blank to have it.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2008, 14:07:17 »
The majority of people who have the flu jabs have no ill effects whatsoever. 

And the majority of people who have the 'flu jab don't get 'flu!
Did i say i still get man flu. ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal