Author Topic: Building a Hot/Greenhouse  (Read 982 times)

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
Building a Hot/Greenhouse
« on: November 07, 2008, 20:47:59 »
PART 1
A few people have asked about building greenhouses so as i was building a new hot house i thought i would put some photos on how i built it.
Don,t even contemplate starting unless you are sure you have all you need and of course make sure you are allowed to build it on your plot.
Getting the stuff to build is harder than the actual building. If you see some one getting there glazing replaced ask the builder for for the old one and would he drop it off at your house or plot, remember he has to pay to skip it. If there is a double gazing firm nearby have look a for what has been left after a job and ask for it. ( shy boys get no soup ).
Timber is a little bit harder to get if a new roof is being put on broken lats are skipped the same applies at building sites for timber and scaffolding boards.
The only difference between a GH and a HH is the height of the base. My preference is breeze blocks as they don't rot and gave and give you a firm level base to build on.
I have built up three blocks high then put a layer of cement along the top, then damp course to stop the damp going up into the wood. On top i have placed my base wood ensured it is level then drilled, plugged and screwed down checking the level all the time as if the base is not level then your uprights wont be correct.
[attachment=1]

Once the cement is dry on the base you can the start putting up the uprights, but remember these must be supported in case the wind decides to take them back down for you, here i have used old 4 x 4 fence posts for the uprights and the cross members but 3x4 will do just as well.

[attachment=2]

Where my glass is going and also to stop the wind from lifting i have used some old shelving supports out of a skip where a shop was getting revamped roofing lats or plastic strips will do just as well.

[attachment=3]

Too be continued.

When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
Re: Building a Hot/Greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 07:49:42 »
At first I thought you wanted a greenhoiuse, but looking at the third photo, it is obvious that you are just "keeping up with the Jones's"

Well done , keep the photos coming as I am going to do  something similar with some old conservatory glass that I obtained,

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 20:00:03 »
I wish the Jonses had been helping me build it

Part 2
So after you have your basic fram up you have to decide how you are going to fit the glass. you can build the frame for the glass to fit into like so

[attachment=1]

or cut the glass to fit the frame like so.

[attachment=2]

To fit the into the frams you put a lat  at the back of the upright

[attachment=3]

put the glass in then do the same at the front

[attachment=4]

If you are using small panes of glass then you do it the same as a aluminium GH with z clips. When we were building this we were going to screw the uprights from an alluminium GH onto the wooden uprights and put the glass in as you would for the alli GH its by far the easiest way to do it. So if you know where there is a wrecked or old one see if you can get it.

Putting the roof on
the ideal salution is again frame from an aluminium GH, i have used old shelving supports you can use any thing you have got that will stop the wind from getting under the glass and lifting it.
Because the glass i put in was so big i put suports between the runners to help take the weight of the glass.

[attachment=5]

Only secure the first lat then run silicone down the side of it for the glass to rest on and act as seel. Place yout glass onto the runners lift the unlatted side slightly and silicone down the edge of it, then put the second lat into plce pushing it right up against the glass and secure it. you the put silicone down where thw lat meats the glass and run a wet finger down to shape it off. you then go onto the next one. the main thing to remember is tha lowest piece of glass must come slightly over the edge of the GH for the water to run off.

On the back of the GH i put on some perspex so the fram has to be different so it can be screwed on

[attachment=6]
[attachment=7]

To cover the apex i have screwed on some old rain guttering

[attachment=8]

When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 20:04:06 »
This should be picture one