Author Topic: Help Needed 5 Lurchers need home!  (Read 4163 times)

Old bird

• Hectare
Help Needed 5 Lurchers need home!
« on: October 28, 2008, 16:30:05 »
My sister rang me this morning and due to a marital split (not my sisters - someone she meets out walking) 5 beautiful lurchers are needing to be rehomed.  I have one lurcher and my previous dogs one of them was a lurcher and they are fabulous dogs generally!

The woman is desperate to find good homes for them.  They are in West Sussex - apparently well behaved - they are rough coated - I think they are all female although I am not sure of all of them - two bitches are around 2 years old.

Give me a shout if anyone can offer them a really good loving home - Please!

Thanks

Old Bird

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Re: Help Needed 5 Lurchers need home!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 19:02:04 »
Oh Old Bird, I really hope homes can be found for these dogs. I have had lurchers myself, they are lovely dogs.

I would certainly have had one myself, but got 2 dogs already plus 2 cats and a hairy husband in a very small house. Im gutted I cant help.
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 21:12:06 »
Lurchers are indeed a great family animal. Anyone looking to re-home a good dog could do a lot worse than this. Very intelligent, love the hustle and bustle of a family and a great walking dog. (From experience)
Ken.

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 21:41:30 »
Awww now can i have just one more dog  ???
I have 5 and one is a lurcher x irishwolf hound, love him to bits but he is 12 now.
Going to see if i can work on hubby to take the 2 females >>>>>>>>>>

star

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 20:30:18 »
Old Bird............how's it going with the dogs? Have they found new homes?

Ive been thinking of them :(

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 12:12:12 »
Hi Star

No joy yet.  My sister hasn't met her out recently so not sure yet if any are rehomed.  What an awful thing to have to do though!  I know that I couldn't do it - regardless of situation - there would never be one that awful that I couldn't keep my dogs.

That in fact is the one thing that frightens me - if - for instance I got an incurable disease and had to think of their future.  I live on my own and decided that this year I would try and find someone to come out for walks with me - enjoy my dogs as if they were their own - so that if the worst did happen - they would immediately take them over!  Needle in a haystack - but I must do it - just in case!

OB

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 12:34:50 »
We have 3 lurchers and my wife does quite a lot of work with sighthound charities and rehoming

There is quite a good network for rehoming Lurchers and greyhounds across the UK. I would advise you to contact a group such as SWT who can be found here
http://www.sighthoundwelfaretrust.org.uk/
who should be able to offer advice and get these dogs rehomed into (importantly) suitable homes

Glow

Just noticed on the link above the two dogs that are top left under about us are our dogs - both rescue animals

star

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 11:05:42 »
Aw.......they are lovely Glow.

Nice link as well.

Old Bird........I know what you mean, it gets scary when you think about stuff like that. Im sure that your sister would help, knowing how you feel about your dogs.........if the worst ever happened.

You could put an ad in the local shop for a dog walking companion?

Good luck............ ;)

Marian

• Quarter Acre
  • Thank God for my garden !
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 13:15:58 »
I so wish I could help you Old Bird!! Unfortunately, I live on a boat and already have one Lurcher/Labrador doggy which takes up a lot of our precious space.

I sincerely hope they can be rehomed successfully and wish your friend the very best of luck !  :) :)

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 13:45:35 »
Star

She, unfortunately for me, lives in Sussex and doesn't have the right environment for my lurcher - the labrador would be OK anywhere - but she already has 3 Italian Spinonis!

My Milly needs to let off steam daily otherwise she could get frustrated and start casuing mischief (she already does - but worse!)

Old Bird

springs

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 15:05:47 »
Any one need help go to the Cinnamon trust web site. National charity for the terminally ill people and their pets. The trust also provides permanent homely sanctuary for much-loved animals who outlive their owners.
I think we pay 10 pounds per year.  www.cinnamon.org.uk.
 Hope this may help someone.

star

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 18:46:00 »
OB...........Thats the trouble with families, we're all spread around the country :(, mostly.

Springs........That's a wonderful site, I have bookmarked it. Very valuable for a lot of people :D

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 12:55:37 »
Yes the future of our animals is very worrying.

Hopefully I will outlive my dogs.I have already decided not to have anymore when they go.Concerned they will be homeless.

I was speaking to a animal charity worker a while ago and he says if you feel
you are too old to have a dog consider homing a very elderly dog.There are several dogs with only a short time left who need homes.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 16:37:56 »
Have heard today that there are still 2 needing homes.  Not sure but they are hairy and brown coloured!

The owners are devastated by this!

My sister is trying to get photos for me - although I can't put them on this site as I don't know how to!!!

Thanks Springs - I think that I will contact the Cinnamon Trust to see what I need to know/do!

Old Bird

:o

star

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 17:10:55 »
I can only imagine how upset the owners are. Are you able to add the pictures to an email? If you can I will sent you my addy and post them on here for you.

If you still want the pics on the forum ;)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 17:20:41 »
Old Bird,
            I do appreciate what your sister is going through I just hope the hounds that have been re-homed  and are in good hands, the two remaining hounds I would go route one with Glow777 and get onto the lurcher site who will find good homes.

springs

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2008, 20:12:04 »
any news on the lurchers

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal