Author Topic: Moving hardy fuchsias  (Read 14505 times)

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
Moving hardy fuchsias
« on: November 06, 2008, 11:47:57 »
Last spring I bought some little hardy fuchsia plants (named variieties) and put them in a semi-circular bed. They've done really well but - (sod's law!) -  it seems that I've planted the taller-growing varieties in front of the shorter ones! When is the right time to move them, please? Some of them have 'gone over' a bit but some are still flowering as if it was summer!

Thank you.

rdm51

• Half Acre
Re: Moving hardy fuchsias
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 21:10:49 »
Hi Grandma.
 Leave them till Spring, move anything now and the frost will kill them. i don't normally plant any hardy fuchsias after July, due to the fact their need to send down deep roots before the first frost,so their can withstand the winter, i also earth up around the fuchsias for extra protection.

all the best
  Bob 

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 00:12:47 »
Thanks, Bob. I've never earthed up any of mine - (I have a few older ones than the ones I need to shift about) - but we don't get the hard winters down here that you do! Your advice makes a lot of sense so my new 'babies' will be staying where they are until the spring. Thanks again. 

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 00:23:02 »
I'd agree with Bob. 

I find I can  plant hardy fuchsias upto early Sept. and they still have time for a root system before the frosts.

Except fot the first year, I've don't bother with earthing up.

As soon as they stop flowering or the frost hits them, I cut the stems down to about 6", mainly so I can still see where they are. Then in the spring, I cut down to groud level and wait for them to shoot.

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 23:49:46 »
Thanks, Pesky. They'll definitely be staying put until the spring and I'll give them a bit of TLC for their first winter! xxx

outdoorgirl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 15:41:47 »
Is it just young hardy fuchsias you should not move? I have an old one that needs to be moved to allow for a new patio. Should I cut it down first, then move it?  or cut it down and pot it up until spring? or move it and not cut it at all. Please help....

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 21:26:41 »
I think your best bet outdoorgirl would be to dig it up and pot it up.  Keep it in a sheltered spot until Spring.  When it starts to show shoots, plant it out (after frosts have gone away).

With the wonderful benefit of hindsight, if you needed to do this in future, take cuttings.  You will therefore have young plants, and if the old plant doesn't survive, at least you have something to replace it with. ;D

valmarg

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 01:15:10 »
I agree with Valmarg. pot it up and keep it frost free (inside if posible).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal