Author Topic: onion seeds Under cover  (Read 1625 times)

trinity

• Acre
onion seeds Under cover
« on: November 05, 2008, 13:58:09 »
onion seeds I have some Mammoth red onion seeds it says sow early December for the earlest crops it dose not mention weather this should be under cover ??? it would be wouldn't it ???

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: onion seeds Under cover
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 14:39:41 »
it would be wouldn't it

Yes! they want to germinate at a minimum temperature of 16°C (60°F).

A big factor in sowing early is not so much the sowing and germinating of them, but where and how you are going to look after them until planting out time.

I find January suits my situation!

This link  might help; http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Onions/Onions.htm

shaun01

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 14:43:29 »
i always go by the bible trinity its somthing i saved from robinsons
Mammoth Onions are best sown from Late December to Late February. A tray 30cms X 30cms will hold approx.100 seeds. Using John Innes sowing compost sow the seeds and cover with the same compost. Germination should take approximately 2 weeks at a temperature of 12deg C. Keep the seeds moist but never over water at this stage. We have found that a higher germination temperature will in many cases damage the seeds, thus giving poor results.

After germination and when the seedlings are at the 'crook' stage, transplant the young seedlings into stronger compost. At this stage individual pots may be used. Lift the seedlings gently as they are very easily damaged. Water only when the seedlings require it. Botrytis at this stage can be devastating so ventilate on all possible occasions but still keep the temperature at 12deg C.

Transfer the young plants out of the greenhouse to a cold frame during mid to Late March. This ensures the plants are well hardened off prior to planting outdoors from Late April. Planting times will vary according to the area and conditions at that time. Onions grown for exhibition will benefit from being covered by cloches at this time.

The smaller onions both red and white varieties are grown using a similar method. They can however be sown later.
The Onion Bed

Choose an open site with good drainage. For exhibition onions, trench 50cm deep. Fork up the bottom of each trench if solid. Into every four square yards of the bed work the following:-

* 4 Forkfuls of pea, bean or tomato haulms.
    * 1 garden barrow of well rotted farmyard manure.
    * 140gms Bonemeal
    * 170gms Sulphate of Potash

First scatter the haulms at the bottom of the trench, and then mix the fertiliser into the bed. It is essential that the greater proportion of the manure should be near the top of the bed, some within 10cms of the surface. This will enable the roots to come into contact with the manure during the early stages of growth. This work is best done in the late autumn or early winter when reasonably dry. The bed can then be left rough over the winter period.

In March work the top into a fine tilth adding the following to an area of 4sq metres.

* 55gms Superphosphate
    * 28gms Hydrated Lime or 500gms Calcified Seaweed (This amount can vary according to soil type and whether the onions are to be grown for exhibition or kitchen, exhibition ground tends to be acidic quicker than general ground, hence the need for Lime or Calcified Seaweed. On ground for general vegetables this need only be done every third year on exhibition ground every year.)

There is no need to firm the ground unless it is very light. When conditions allow, and this will depend on several factors, plant out the now hardened off onion plants. The usual time for planting is Mid April to Mid May. An advantage is gained by the use of cloches both before and after planting. If cloches are placed over the ground prior to planting the area will warm and there is less chance of a check in growth. Care should be taken after planting not to leave covers over for too long. We have found that 3-4 weeks is sufficient.

Onions can be grown on the same ground for many years; our own onion bed is now 140 years old and has grown onions continuously for this time. However a strict health routine must be followed if you require using the same ground again and again. If any onions are suspect always remove not only the plant but also a small amount of soil from where the onion was growing. Hopefully this will remove any unwanted bacteria in the soil. The ground will also benefit from a watering of Jeyes Fluid after the crop has been harvested; this again will kill any unwanted bacteria or fungi.

If the onions are required for general kitchen use or it has not been possible to prepare the ground in the autumn we suggest the following. When it is possible work into the ground one barrowful of farmyard manure to 4sq metres. Prior to planting add a good general fertiliser. Calcified Seaweed can be added at this time. During the growing season never allow the onion bed to become dry, especially during June and July when the onions are growing well.

The planting distance for onions can vary according to the result required. For exhibition we suggest a planting distance of no nearer than 30cm X 30cm, for kitchen use this may be reduced to 20cm X 20cm.
Feeding

Feeding onions on established beds should not be necessary. Feeding on ground, which has been cultivated for a number of years, can be harmful. If feeding is required it must be done in the early season. Over feeding can result in onions with thick necks and poor keeping qualities. Nitrate of Soda can be given as a feed at the rate of 1 teaspoon to 1gallon of water. Water on all occasions when onions are dry.
Harvesting

Onions will store better if harvested with a little growth left in the plant. For exhibition lift the onions 10-14 days prior to the show to give the bulb time to dry. Cut the root and top off, leaving enough top to tie down for the show bench. Remove any dead or broken skin and leave to dry in a warm dry area. A greenhouse is ideal for this purpose. Exhibitors will after 7 days be able to turn the onion top over for good presentation. For tying down we have found that rubber bands work very well, unless specified to be as grown by the show schedule. As the neck of the onion shrinks so does the rubber band, this avoids re-tying.

You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 17:08:11 »
A very comprehensive report their Shaun.

So that you don't get confused Trinity, Shauns method is tried and tested and again so is mine, so you could use either method and get an element of success.

But I still maintain that the 'aftercare' till planting out time is most important part, if you don't have the right facilities then delay your sowings from what Shaun and I suggested.

You will find that plants have a way of catching up, so better a delay than a total loss.

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 17:22:47 »
Wow! I love this forum, thank you both Tee Gee & Shaun01 for taking such care with your responses. Don't mean to hijack your thread Trinity but this has proved incredibly helpful and just had to acknowledge. :-* :-*

shaun01

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 17:50:08 »
A very comprehensive report their Shaun.

So that you don't get confused Trinity, Shaun's method is tried and tested and again so is mine, so you could use either method and get an element of success.

But I still maintain that the 'aftercare' till planting out time is most important part, if you don't have the right facilities then delay your sowings from what Shaun and I suggested.

You will find that plants have a way of catching up, so better a delay than a total loss.
i totally agree
You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 18:15:53 »
this is brilliant, we're having a 'who can grow the heaviest onion' competition on our site, will take note of it all and pass it on to ray  ;D

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 20:31:58 »
I don't have a green house you but I do have lots cold frames and space  a UN heated glass porch but i think I will wate till late Jan as I need the space in the porch for other things as well
they are not for exhibiting I just like the taste of this variety as i was given some of another allotment holder and they where fantastic
 it is my first time of growing onions from seed so thank you both for your advice it is very helpfull
Think I might even know what I am supposed to be doing ::)  ;D as I normally bung stuff in a pot and hope it grows I did not think having a Lotty would be so technical but i am loving it ;D
thanks again for the help and hears hoping for show worthy onions even if I am just going to eat them ;D

vegmandan

• Half Acre
    • My Allotment Diary
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 21:30:35 »
You can't beat eating big onions. ;D

And they do store well contrary to popular beliefs.

Have a barbeque and see your guests faces when you bring out a plate of 6 inch wide onion rings. ;D

I grow big onions and don't have a greenhouse either, so I've bought myself some of those new fangled low energy Envirolite growlights to start them off under.

That might be a thought for you to try. ;D

-------------------------------------------
I will grow a 10lb Onion if it kills me !
-------------------------------------------

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal