Author Topic: Which Garlic Trial  (Read 6265 times)

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
Which Garlic Trial
« on: November 04, 2008, 19:22:33 »
In the November issue of Gardening Which, they give the results of their garlic trial, which I find hard to credit!!
They trialled 5 varieties of garlic at a site in East Anglia and an unknown site in Scotland, sowing both in November and February.
In all cases, they got much bigger crops from February sown garlic. The best crop came from Solent Wight garlic, Spring sown in Scotland where the crop was 4 times greater than from the East Anglia site sown in early Winter.
How to explain these extraordinary results, which go against all the wisdom of the old hands on our allotment site, where they have been growing garlic for over 50 years?
Which claims that a lot of the early winter garlic rotted, but I have never found that a problem. Mind you, we all sow our garlic late September or early October.
They also had a lot of rust problems on the East Anglia site.
How do these results square up with your own experiences?
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Which Garlic Trial
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 19:28:00 »
February works fine for us.

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 19:35:58 »
Am an October gal here - they're already poking up  ;)

If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 20:19:27 »
Hi all ,

jucy wondered how long after planting should you see something  :-\? I planted mine on the 25th october nothing yet! Its my first time so i hope i have planted out at the right time.

Thanks

lucy

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 20:34:42 »
They'll pop up when it suits them - pretend to ignore them, it always works  ;)

Ninnyscrops
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 20:40:33 »
That made me chuckle. What garlic!!!!   ;D

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 22:00:46 »
I have found that Autumn planted garlic tends to be more surceptible to disease/failure.

Taken overall though over the years, I get plenty of garlic either way, and whether hard neck, soft neck, Tesco or expensive seed catalogue garlic, it always gives me enough for the year!

To  avoid gaps this year, I have planted cloves in individual containers and will photo and report in due course.

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments_Vegetables_garlic.html
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 22:03:18 by allaboutliverpool »

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 09:37:30 »
I always get better results from Autumn planted, and as for rotting I lost the whole of my February crop this year.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 10:57:58 »
While we're on the subject has anyone else noticed that a certain person seems to have almost cornered the market in seed garlic?

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 14:32:01 »
My October ones were great, did get some rust though but only on one variety and it didn't affect the crop. This year they're hopefully going in next week...half term got in the way.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 14:46:19 »
What is supposed to be the latest time for planting over-wintering garlic?  I have read about some that can be planted as late as December ???
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 10:25:38 »
There was a saying 'Plant garlic on the shortest day and harvest on the longest day' but I don't know where it comes from.

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 11:33:07 »
Well....i'm doing something different - for me - this year!  I usually plant my garlic in the autumn, but due to pressure of work/family etc and the bed not being cleared of crops, I deceided to pot up both my garlic and shallots this year and have stuck them in my greenhouse!  It will be interesting to compare the reults next year! .....watch this space!

I think it's good sometimes to get out of your comfort zone and try a different method - just to compare results!

Louise
Grow yer bugger grow!

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 18:38:29 »
I was just about to start a topic asking when they plant their garlic and luckily I found this thread first!! I haven't had any success from Autumn planting of garlic. I bought seed garlic and planted the cloves last Oct and they came up then all rotted away and no sign of anything when I dug the ground to see if anything was there.

Interested to see if many more people plant in spring?? I'm sure I've heard of people planting in March?
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 18:52:33 »
While we're on the subject has anyone else noticed that a certain person seems to have almost cornered the market in seed garlic?

No. Is it a secret?
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 16:10:58 »
It's the Slavemaster of Wight. some years ago he was on the receiving end of a record fine for poisoning his underpaid immigrant workers with illegal pesticides.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 16:17:27 »
Got mine from Dobies today. Looking good!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 16:19:46 »
What variety? If the name ends in 'Wight' it's slave garlic.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 17:15:56 »
Funny, isn't it? Our workers are getting poisoned every day but, when it comes to Immigrants, it's not allowed!

What's done is done & he paid the price. Now let's buy British Garlic rather than Continental?

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2008, 18:57:57 »
I may not be following this well but I dont think its true that either british nor immigrant workers are 'allowed' to be poisoned!

Unfortunately it seems it is is all too easy to employ immigrant workers for low pay and charge them high rates for appalling housing conditions. etc (as has been reported in recent legal cases) - which British people would not put up with/are more likely to know how to access legal support with.

I will certainly look into this as I had not been aware of issues around 'wight' garlic and had been going to buy some.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal