Author Topic: Wannabe Wine maker  (Read 1995 times)

Jokerman

• Half Acre
Wannabe Wine maker
« on: November 03, 2008, 21:46:33 »
Hey,

firstly, gotta say sorry 'cos you've all probably seen this post a zillion times.....

I would love to start making my own wine from stuff I grow. I have bought a few manuals but it all seems really complicated and time consuming. Anyone got an idiots guide that even I could follow... I have no previous experience and haven't a clue where to start...

:-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” ~ Tolkien

Ren1

• Not So New ...
Re: Wannabe Wine maker
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 12:31:46 »
have you got the cjj berry book??  found this is quite straightforward.

can get it cheaply on ebay.

You could get a starter kit from wilko's to practice?  These have pretty easy to follow instructions, then you can adapt for using your own produce as necessary.

STEVEB

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 00:38:15 »
ren
start of with the easy to make and quick supermarket juice wines to build up some stock while the FREE  ingredients are missing at this time of year
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 11:20:59 »
I haven't checked out this statement but heard it and it may be true: it is less expensive to start with a kit that provides all the basic equipment than to buy it piecemeal.
Except if you can find it on Ebay or used somewhere of course.

If lifting heavy things is a concern for you I'd recommend not getting the huge glass 4-gal carboys and try the type plastic that is okay for fermenting. So much easier to handle and won't break. 

Having tried a variety at this point, I'd also recommend as written earlier, that you begin with juices to see if you enjoy the whole process. They are less work than beginning with the actual fruits but still involve work and time. That said, I hpe you enjoy it. Also the expression on friend's faces when asked to sample something home-brewed (not always a gleeful expression!)
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Jokerman

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 21:41:13 »
Thanks all....

Anyone got a nice easy, step by step recipe that they would like to share?  Layman's terms would be best (don't think anything would be too simple!!!)  ;D ;D ;D
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” ~ Tolkien

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal