Author Topic: ‘Buy The Desert Rats a Beer’  (Read 8020 times)

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
Re: ‘Buy The Desert Rats a Beer’
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2008, 10:55:03 »
no - they're Her Majesty's Armed Forces! The Queen pays for them all herself out of her own pocket!
Your round then Liz!

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2008, 10:59:16 »
no - they're Her Majesty's Armed Forces! The Queen pays for them all herself out of her own pocket!

Before or after she pays tax  ??? ??? ???
The Tuscan Beaneater

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2008, 11:28:53 »
Ok we are missing the point here!!!!!!!!
The brewery is making the beer and  selling it for £2.00 a bottle ok, 50p goes to charity and they pocket £1.50 and look like heros ????? why ?>
They are just making money out of this  >:(
If they had donated the beer it would have been a great gesture but to make profit and believe me they will be making approx £1.00 a bottle !!! i think is awful !
I would rather give the £2.00 to a charity that will use it all on the cause !!!
What a great con !!!

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2008, 11:46:15 »
Ok we are missing the point here!!!!!!!!
The brewery is making the beer and  selling it for £2.00 a bottle ok, 50p goes to charity and they pocket £1.50 and look like heros ????? why ?>
They are just making money out of this  >:(
If they had donated the beer it would have been a great gesture but to make profit and believe me they will be making approx £1.00 a bottle !!! i think is awful !
I would rather give the £2.00 to a charity that will use it all on the cause !!!
What a great con !!!

My understanding is that you are buying them a beer. Would rather do this and 50p goes to charity as well.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2008, 12:09:16 »
So you're seriously saying that it doesn't cost the country to keep an army, and that cost doesn't increase when we go off to kill people ??? You better tell the government, 'cos they've budgeted for a huge amount...
Absolutely.  It does not cost the country to do all of the following then eh.....

The same way it does not cost the country to keep the fire brigade for the arsonists,  The same way it does not cost the country to keep the prison officers to work in prisons.
The same way it does not cost the country to keep the police because of all the illegal activities on the streets.
The same way it does not cost the country to keep the benefit scroungers (not the legitimate people who need the benefit)
The same way it does not cost the country to fund A&E departments to aid injuries from alcohol related incidents.

You better tell the government about the above, 'cos they've budgeted for a huge amount for all the above too.

The original thread was for a voluntary contribution for those who wished to participate, not a political debate that could be a thread all of its own. ::) ::)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2008, 12:27:26 »
You're right kt - sorry for contributing to the detraction from your thread. And I genuinely hope they enjoy the pints sent to them. It must be hell out there.

I don't think I need to say much more on this.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2008, 15:11:13 »

I don't think I need to say much more on this.

;D Corrr! Spot the weasel-word in that, then ;) ;D

KT, I've not clicked on your link and only because my puter's so dodgy atm it needs a flush-out :-\ Beer for the Boys/Gals (can't remember any Gals to be honest, but if there were...) We've been buying it since these damned wars have begun..we're in the flight path to Smelly Oak Hospital and it's heart-rending to see the 'copters stacked overhead to land. So, at the adjacent cricket club & pub, there's been beer - and crisps 8)

For yourself....hope to God you're back safely with your family for Christmas and that I'm NOT buying you a pint.

Cheers, Lishka

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2008, 18:46:47 »
I an going to leave you with this

If you can read the text of this website thank a Teacher.
If you can read it in English thank a Soldier, Sailor or Airman.

How does a soldier feel fighting a war?
Does he always know what he is fighting for?
Maybe he knows but doesn't understand,
why he is alone in a faraway land.
Like so many others he is there for a cause,
And like the rest he doesn't pause.
He has a job that he does well,
even as his best friend beside him fell.
How does he feel when he hears the news,
of violent protests from the ignorant few?
His shame is great, the pain goes deep
he feels compassion for the dead at his feet.
Rioters can boast and carry signs,
about the war that has shook our time.
But when the call comes for them to go,
they burn their draft cards and make a show.
How can a soldier be proud of his land,
when this type of people make a stand?
How can we show him we are glad he is there,
fighting for freedom and the ones who care?
War is unfair in any way of life,
and all involved must pay the price.
But the soldier is proud to keep us free,
stop and think..........
Shouldn't you be?
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2008, 19:35:13 »
A beer is a small price to pay. Don't expect too much 'high-up' support. Many of us are still waiting for the government to allow the wearing of the PJM covering 1957-1966.
...Quote...

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE MALAYSIAN HIGH COMMISSION IN LONDON

Malaysia High Commission is pleased to announce that the closing date to apply for Pingat Jasa Malaysia (PJM) will now remain indefinite until further notice. However, all applicants are advised to submit their applications (to Mr Fred Burden) as soon as possible to avoid delay in receiving the medal. Should you have any further enquiries pertaining to this matter, please contact the Defence Adviser for Malaysia"
...unquote
Link... http://www.nmbva.co.uk/

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2008, 19:49:01 »
Right, I tried but I can't (shut up)...

Okay, getting off the fact that I don't agree in general with war.... what on earth do you expect, ken? You think the people who send others off to spill their blood and that of others really care? Are you honestly surprised that these medals can't be worn?

My opinion is formed partly by my grandmother's side (the pacifists), but also by two other important aspects - one was my grandad who was a commander in the navy. We were very close, and in his own words he "never changed anything for long" (he was the one given an OBE for his military efforts). The other important event was the death of one of my school mates in Iraq 1. I still don't see what his death gained, and we used to shoot toy guns at each other... I still miss him.

The government will never respect the lives, rights or families of the people they send off to fight, and people who go in for all this bravado are still being played by the propaganda.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2008, 20:16:55 »
As I said in my first post, Ollie; Governments do what governments do and we have an armed force to back their judgement be it right or wrong and I'm not going to go deeper than that here, this subject is well enough off topic as it is, (but a thread in this direction I most certainly will subscribe to.)
Suffice to say that those pointing the bad finger at the squaddies either need new glasses or a history lesson. (Better than that might be to have a louder voice than a certain president in at least one direction?  :D )

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2008, 20:29:12 »
alright Ken, you know I have the utmost respect for you, and I think you have a pretty good idea of where I'm coming from... Lets start a new thread... and I would suggest that any views are welcome, as long as they are supported by fact, experience or judgement. "You're wrong you pacifist/aggressor, you're a bully/coward" etc, won't be appreciated...

link for anyone interested in discussing the morality of war (such a small topic!)

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,46866.0.html
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 20:40:33 by OllieC »

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2008, 21:02:28 »
Sensible words from a respected member. Looking forward to a lengthy, hopefully sensible (as requested) input.
 Good one, Ollie.
Ken.

Go to Watershed, Peeps.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 21:11:51 by kenkew »

Mchenryk

« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2008, 08:37:44 »

The beer duty alone for 500ml of 4.5% ABV is 21pence. The bottles cost 20p, lids 2p. The front foil labels cost 17p each and we put back ones (5p) on for the 408 messages on the bottles that were donated by the public. We sent over 5000 bottles to the troops and the delivery cost £1200. that's about 4p per bottle. That's 69p already and then we add the ingedients, gas, power and water. A short run beer made at our small brewery costs over £1 to make without any labour factored in. I normally work on my own but paid for help to get the bottling finished in time. Larger breweries like Badger spend approx 80p on each bottle of beer they produce. They are obviously far more efficient than I. 50p a bottle would be nice, if you'd like to show me how I'd be your friend for life.
By the way I am an ex serviceman and I was asked to provide this service by the 7 Bde, I did not solicit sending over 4000 bottles of free beer in any way. Having said that I am glad I did and think that they deserve every bit of recognition they get.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2008, 17:19:43 »
Ditto: Mc.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2008, 17:49:45 »
Good job well done :)

anything