Author Topic: ‘Buy The Desert Rats a Beer’  (Read 8021 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: ‘Buy The Desert Rats a Beer’
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2008, 18:18:13 »
cheers, lads   ;D
enjoy the pint

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2008, 19:29:16 »
If people don't want to buy a Vet a drink, so be it. BUt please don't come out with pathetic 'polital reasons' for not supporting the British Army abroad. A squaddie does as his government gaffers decree, Britain and many other countries have been thankful for the presence of British Forces on many occassions.
 WELL DONE and THANK YOU LADS (and lasses).

(Wish I'd had a bottle for every one of my return trips!)

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 19:54:51 »
I will shake the hand of any serving soldier and tell him i am proud to have done so and thank him for serving my country.
For anyone who thinks our lads should not be serving in Afghanistan find out just what the aim of the Taliban is and why they must be defeated.
If ever they succeed the only difference between you, a Christian and a good Muslim is you will be dead and he will be told to shut up or be dead.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2008, 21:21:53 »
You have to look at how the Taliban came to power - America put them there whilst trying to get Russia embroiled in their own version of Vietnam. The only way to achieve peace is by behaving peacefully. You never beat someone into being peaceful.

Don't think they are helping you - they are pawns in someone else's game. So my reasons are not political - I genuinely think that the troops there are in the wrong. We are all accountable for our actions, "just taking orders" is complete nonsense. I want them to come home, alive, and I regard every death as a tragedy, but am not sure the death of a British soldier who chose their job, is worse than the death of a civilian who never had a choice even if the civilian has a turban on his head...

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2008, 21:42:22 »
My reasons are not polital,to be a soldier is a carer choice, i don't put my hand in my pocket for my postman because they have to get up at stupid o'clock in all weathers so why should i for soldier. If anybody should get them a drink its the government for sending them into pointless wars in the first place.

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2008, 22:00:13 »
EVIL WILL SUCCSEAD WHILE GOOD MEN STAND BY AND DO NOTHING

I'm glad that MEN like my father can't read this nonsense that's been put on this site.  And I'll be donating as much as I can afford to welcome our lads home.  GOD bless them all.
                              Taurus

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2008, 10:23:15 »
My appoligies to KT if my first post started of the debate on your thread, it was only my opinion and i did not mean for the thread to be taken away from what you were originaly trying to achieve.

Neil

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2008, 10:40:57 »
For as long as I've been around on here, we've nearly always been able to disagree without falling out... It's a shame when people reply with things like "you're all wrong and this is nonsense" without saying anything that supports their statement. That's not a discussion and it's not very helpful.

Personally I always try to see things from the other point of view - I don't think taurus has done this. Nobody I'm aware of is advocating "doing nothing". I think we could do things differently - that is not the same as doing nothing.

As an example, Flunky & I disagree completely on this - it makes no difference - he can send them a pint & I won't... see, we haven't fallen out! (Big Hug for you, Mr Flunk!)...

From the point of view of a pacifist, violence is (almost) always wrong, therefore no matter how patriotic I am or how sorry I feel for the crap "our boys" have to put up with, or even how much respect I have for their commitment, I am unable to congratulate them for doing something with which I am fundamentally opposed.

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2008, 10:43:10 »
For as long as I've been around on here, we've nearly always been able to disagree without falling out... It's a shame when people reply with things like "you're all wrong and this is nonsense" without saying anything that supports their statement. That's not a discussion and it's not very helpful.

Personally I always try to see things from the other point of view - I don't think taurus has done this. Nobody I'm aware of is advocating "doing nothing". I think we could do things differently - that is not the same as doing nothing.

As an example, Flunky & I disagree completely on this - it makes no difference - he can send them a pint & I won't... see, we haven't fallen out! (Big Hug for you, Mr Flunk!)...

From the point of view of a pacifist, violence is (almost) always wrong, therefore no matter how patriotic I am or how sorry I feel for the crap "our boys" have to put up with, or even how much respect I have for their commitment, I am unable to congratulate them for doing something with which I am fundamentally opposed.

No offence taken Mr C. We are all entitled to our opions. i just think you are wrong LOL  ;D Seriously though, its a good point you make.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2008, 11:10:19 »
I agree, less falling out and more disagreeing. ;D

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2008, 11:19:51 »
Cheers lads.....enjoy your beer  :)
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2008, 15:21:27 »
I agree, If you cant voice one of this countries greatest rights, which is your opinion without falling out yhen there is some thing sadly wrong.

It is the soldier, not the reporter, Who has given us freedom of the press.
It is the soldier, not the poet, Who has given us freedom of speech.
It is the soldier, not the organizer, Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.
It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2008, 15:27:59 »
I agree, If you cant voice one of this countries greatest rights, which is your opinion without falling out yhen there is some thing sadly wrong.

It is the soldier, not the organizer, Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.
And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.

I agree with your first comment, but disagree with the second part (gosh!)... we had and would have all these freedoms without war. Civilisation began when we started to talk instead of fight... but I don't think we're going to agree on this one... so may even shut up now.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2008, 15:48:46 »
Civilisation began when we started to talk instead of fight... but I don't think we're going to agree on this one... so may even shut up now.

Can't resist asking, when and where has this ever been the case?

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2008, 15:51:16 »
Civilisation began when we started to talk instead of fight... but I don't think we're going to agree on this one... so may even shut up now.

Can't resist asking, when and where has this ever been the case?

Me shutting up, or people talking instead of fighting? Both are rare, but can happen with a bit of effort!  ::)

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2008, 23:22:27 »

You forgot ....it is the soldier, that is costing the tax payer to keep them in pointless wars, or it is the soldier, i dip in me free range egg i like the best. ;D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2008, 04:45:22 »
You forgot ....it is the soldier, that is costing the tax payer to keep them in pointless wars, or it is the soldier, i dip in me free range egg i like the best. ;D

The soldier is not costing the taxpayer at all.  All serving personell pay full tax and national insurance the same as everybody else who is paid by the government....... the police,  fire fighters,  NHS staff,  binmen. 

All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2008, 09:08:47 »

[/quote]
[/quote]

Funnily enough during my many many years service I used to dip civilians in my eggs  ;D
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2008, 10:34:12 »

The soldier is not costing the taxpayer at all. 

Well I was going to keep quiet, but I can't shut up with such an absurd comment...

So you're seriously saying that it doesn't cost the country to keep an army, and that cost doesn't increase when we go off to kill people ??? You better tell the government, 'cos they've budgeted for a huge amount...

This might help you work out the financial cost of war:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7304300.stm

[/quote]

Funnily enough during my many many years service I used to dip civilians in my eggs  ;D
[/quote]
We dip pacifists in ours...  :P
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 10:35:57 by OllieC »

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2008, 10:37:40 »
no - they're Her Majesty's Armed Forces! The Queen pays for them all herself out of her own pocket!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal