Author Topic: ‘Buy The Desert Rats a Beer’  (Read 8099 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
‘Buy The Desert Rats a Beer’
« on: November 03, 2008, 13:33:47 »
5 Months through a 6 month tour of Iraq, and the men and women of 7th Armoured Brigade have seen a change in Iraq we have been working toward for 5 years.  As peace has returned to Basra, our men and women, tired but proud are now looking forward to coming home for Christmas.

A British brewery run by Tony Hadley of Spandau Ballet and ex Royal Anglian soldier, Kevin McHenry, has created a special beer called the Red Rat beer for the soldiers of 7th Armoured Brigade – the famous Desert Rats. The Red Rat beer will be presented to the soldiers when they return later this year to their home base in Germany & UK from demanding operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The Red Rat craft brewery is behind this original campaign to thank Germany based Desert Rats for their sterling work on operations this year. ‘Beer for the Boys’ aims to let the public know they can show their support for the Army by going onto the brewery’s website and buying bottles of beer to donate to soldiers in 7th Armoured Brigade.

In a recent interview with BFBS Radio, Hadley, who is a long term supporter of the British forces and has supported troops around the world, said: “the soldiers of 7th Armoured Brigade have been doing a brilliant job this year on operations on Iraq and Afghanistan in incredibly difficult conditions. As many will not be returning to their home towns in the UK for celebrations, this campaign will be an opportunity for the public to show that although they are out of sight, they are certainly not out of mind”.

The idea is that members of the pubic, family and friends can go onto the brewery’s website at www.redratcraftbrewery.co.uk/campaigns.html and donate a bottle or bottles of beer. Each bottle costs £2 and 50p from each bottle will go to charities supporting the soldiers and families of the Desert Rats. However, some 4000 bottles are needed to present each soldier with one bottle of this uniquely produced Red Rat beer so they can toast medals parades and homecoming events in early December taken place at their home base in Germany.

Each bottle will display a specially designed Red Rat beer label (as attached) and supporters can also include a short message of thanks which will be printed on the back of the bottle and read by the recipient of that bottle..

This is a voluntary cause if you wish to participate.

Find out what they’ve done to secure Basra at the following link:  http://basrablog.blogspot.com/

Many thanks

kt

« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 13:56:46 by ktlawson »
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
Re: Dig into your piggy banks to ‘Buy The Desert Rats a Beer’
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 13:44:05 »
I know it might upset some but i will not be buying any, all our soldier are soldiers as a carer choice. Police officers, Fire fighters and office workers do not get a special beer brought out for them so money can be raised and thanks shown for them doing their job.

So why should soldiers?

Neil

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 14:30:39 »
I know it might upset some but i will not be buying any, all our soldier are soldiers as a carer choice. Police officers, Fire fighters and office workers do not get a special beer brought out for them so money can be raised and thanks shown for them doing their job.

So why should soldiers?

Neil
Tell me about it when the Taliban is knocking on your front door.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

betula

• Hectare
Re: ‘Buy The Desert Rats a Beer’
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 14:33:55 »
I agree Davyw1 :)

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 14:37:19 »
I didn't say i don't appritiate the job they do, same way i appritiate all the people that work to keep the country clean, so we don't have crap coming to our door.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 14:43:07 »
Yes everybody deserves a treat now and then.

It is like contributing to a charity,you could say I won't give to that charity because I can't give every charity something. :)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 15:37:34 »
I feel sorry for them as they believe in a lie and are labouring under the deluded impression that they are doing some good, but they're not doing me any favours... They shouldn't have gone there, they shouldn't be there and they have only made the world a less stable place. It's not the soldiers fault, but it's how things are.

Nobody should get a pat on the back for being part of such a balls-up.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 15:41:55 by OllieC »

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 16:07:48 »

So why should soldiers?

Neil

Sorry Neil, but that is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard. i would be more than happy to donate to look after a police officer or fireman or paramedic, nurse, etc etc. i would not however expect (i work in an office) people to give me a donation. i do however tip the binmen at xmas.

I dont really care about the politics behind the war i just would not want them to believe that i dont give a rats bum about them. I would want our armed forces to feel supported and something to be honered. They do a fantastic job. Leave the politics to the idiots that run this asylum. They are the ones to blame.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 01:45:14 »
Then let the idiots buy them a drink  >:(

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 07:29:00 »
I took a box to the firemen, picketing, last time they were on strike... everybody deserves a good turn now and then...  :-X

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 14:07:42 »
I took a box to the firemen, picketing, last time they were on strike... everybody deserves a good turn now and then...  :-X

And while they were on strike who was doing their best to put fires out
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 14:16:37 »

As i said its not their fault they are following orders, if you dont think they are worth a couple of quid then dont but them one.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 14:27:47 »
another thread goes tits-up  ???

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 15:03:35 »

Has it? I hope not - and I hope if it has then I haven't contributed to the tits-upness... didn't we used to be able to disagree without falling out?

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 15:37:50 »
didn't we used to be able to disagree without falling out?

no we ******** didn't, you ******* ********n ********!   ;D

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2008, 16:06:49 »
didn't we used to be able to disagree without falling out?

no we ******** didn't, you ******* ********n ********!   ;D

Come here and have a man-hug, RT, tomorrow the world is gonna be a better place...   :)

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008, 16:25:20 »
certainly not! I'm off to cause trouble in the "Tattoo" thread

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2008, 16:26:26 »
certainly not! I'm off to cause trouble in the "Tattoo" thread

Do you want to borrow a white poppy to take with you?!?!  :P

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 01:25:54 »

As i said its not their fault they are following orders
But are they not getting paid for following orders.

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 11:34:33 »

As i said its not their fault they are following orders
But are they not getting paid for following orders.

Yes, I presume they are. Still, my £2.00 is on its way. I hope they enjoy the beer.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal