Author Topic: ...but will they grow???  (Read 1149 times)

scooterboy

...but will they grow???
« on: November 02, 2008, 16:17:02 »
Hey!
I am just about to get a new allotment in the next couple of weeks.

I want to grow some onions (regular and red), garlic and some early carrots.

If I get the allotment in two weeks and it takes me a week or two to get it organised (the plot has been used to great success up until now so I assume the soil is reasonable), will it then be too late to plant my onions, garlic and carrots directly in the soil?

If so, I could plant them in individual pots now just to get them started and then transplant them across to the allotment in 3 or 4 weeks once I have got it a bit more in order. Do you think that would work? If so, can I leave the pots outside in a sheltered area, as space is limited inside? I have an old fruit cage I could put them in to keep the birds off. I assume that would be ok if they will come up alright after planting directly in the soil.

If I do grow them in pots and then pop them in the ground once they are started, should I cover them up with a mini poly tunnel cloche or would they be ok without. I have enough poly tunnel for some but not all of the seedlings.

This is my first proper venture into gardening of any kind, so as you can probably tell, I have a lot to learn (but I am keen)!  :)

Any advice or alternative suggestions you can make would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Michael

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: ...but will they grow???
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 16:26:09 »
Overwintering onions need to go in ASAP, as they need to get themselves established before winter. Garlic can go in any time now. Those don't need covering. I'm not sure about carrots, but I suspect they would.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal