Author Topic: Tomato Idea's Please  (Read 6048 times)

jo9919

Tomato Idea's Please
« on: November 01, 2008, 18:21:40 »
I have decided that next year I am going to grow mainly cherry sized tomatoes as they get eaten more than the normal sized ones.

I'm not keen on the beefsteak type tomatoes, so although I am growing mostly cherry sized ones, I am going to grow only one normal sized one. Therefore, the one that I am going to grow has to be 'quality'.

So, if you could grow only one normal sized tomato, which would it be?

I'm looking forward to the responses on this  :D

Jo.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Tomato Idea's Please
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 18:27:53 »
tough one, this, but I love tigerella, lovely taste and so pretty  ;D

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 20:11:14 »
Arrrgh, no can do.

Love the cherry varieties, but also love the beefsteak and plum varieties.

valmarg

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 05:45:31 »
I have grown what I would like to think are deliscious tomatoes i the past but am going to try this wonderful looking 'strawberry-shaped' variety next year:

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/seeds1/product/891/1.html
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 08:59:13 »
Minefield - every variety is sweeter than sweet or your money back. And, of course, everything you grow is 'the best'?  But flavour can vary from bland to brilliant even within a truss.

After growing Santa for many years, with some success, I found Moles' Rosada this year. I shall put in a dozen next year. Excellent.

Otherwise, we have found Nectar early, prolific & flavoursome. This was even after being hit severely, with others, by Mildew. Came out well in RHS trials some years back.

Oh, & here is Rosada.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 09:05:30 by tim »

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 09:01:39 »
forgot about golden sunrise, early and prolific  :)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 09:11:30 »
Gardeners Delight always deliver for me, and Santa too.
Smile, it confuses people.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 18:11:50 »
So, if you could grow only one normal sized tomato, which would it be?

Black Russian-but if you don`t like your toms with a `complex` flavour then Nepal

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 21:28:10 »
If I could only grow one variety it would have to be Aurora, early, good all rounder and true from seed. A second choice would be my Bulgarian plum tom even if it is not as blight resistant as I had hoped.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 22:17:34 »
yes, my trial succumbed to blight eventually, sorry for not getting back to you on that. Like Tigrella I would grow Tangella if you could find it, or RED PEACH, which has a furry skin... both HSL...  ;D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 05:01:17 »
Tim - After looking at your pictures of the Rosada I think I may well grow that and as my new variety skip the Berry F1.  The yields look so much more. ;)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 09:23:37 »
Caveat, KT!

The half truss is Nectar - can't find a proper photo of it. nThe 2nd is Rosada - nothing like so productive, but very solid  - http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=42451.0;attach=22480;image

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 09:50:22 »
So Tim,  would you say the Nectar is better than the  Rosada in terms of yields and reliability? 

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 12:46:32 »
Different kettle of fish, KT. Daughter really only likes mini-Plums. And they freeze better than Cherries. Certainly better than Santa - for which it is a replacement.

But Nectar's yield is better - as you can see from the half truss spared by the blight. And although many Sweet Million type Cherries have bigger trusses, Nectar's fruits are more substantial.

Reliability? My first year with Rosada.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 15:38:39 »
I grew both this year, Rosada for the first time (think I heard about it from you, Tim). The Rosada seemed to tough out the blight better than Nectar but Nectar was earlier yielding and had a heavier crop. I was also impressed by Rudolph - similar to Rosada but larger fruit. I think it's meant to replace Juliet.

I know I'm going to get into trouble for this  :)  but with regard to conventional tomatoes you can't go far wrong with Shirley F1. That and Fantasio F1 (new to me) will be my only conventional medium sized round red ones this year.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2008, 15:22:06 »
I know I'm going to get into trouble for this    but with regard to conventional tomatoes you can't go far wrong with Shirley F1.

;D ;D ;D-A money maker dressed in expensive clothes.

When we are all long past our sell by dates this debate will go on-there is no `best` tomato only those we like as individuals

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008, 16:33:19 »
I know I'm going to get into trouble for this    but with regard to conventional tomatoes you can't go far wrong with Shirley F1.

;D ;D ;D-A money maker dressed in expensive clothes.

:)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2008, 16:56:11 »
yes, my trial succumbed to blight eventually, sorry for not getting back to you on that. Like Tigrella I would grow Tangella if you could find it, or RED PEACH, which has a furry skin... both HSL...  ;D

Is that similar to 'Fuzzy'? I've just picked a few in the greenhouse, plants getting to be on their last legs now... :-\ Very pretty fruits though, and good taste.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2008, 18:58:48 »
I found that tangella had a poor flavour and was prone to blight, even in a greenhouse. Not a patch on either of it's parents!
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2008, 19:13:27 »
Probably Deb... BTW I have arranged for a woman who does composting displays to come to the Open Days next year..   ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal