Author Topic: Trick or Treat...  (Read 13695 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Trick or Treat...
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2008, 21:37:21 »
Why?
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2008, 21:38:20 »
Then Mum appeared and punched you. 
Yes... :'(.... :'(.... :'(....and it hurts... :'(

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2008, 21:39:57 »
I can totally agree with Jeannine.

We lived in a small town in Canada and the teachers, firefighters, councillors and parents all volunteered to stand in various positions throughout the town to make sure the kids were all safe. Not once did I ever experience or hear of a *Tricking*.

The costumes were nearly always hand made and very inventive and beautiful. Kids were always polite.

Like Jeannine said, if you didn't want to be disturbed (or ran out of treats) you didn't put on your outside lights.

The other nice thing about having halloween in Canada, there was nothing to do with Christmas in the shops until the 31st had past.

The shops here have had Christmas stuff for sale since AUGUST....

OUTRAGEOUS  ::)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2008, 21:42:06 »
Oh Lauren, I am having a cry now..it seems even sadder when I read that someone else misses it. I remember doing the late rounds with my Old English Sheepdog dressed ina Jane Fonda outfit just to have a laugh with the neighbours..and the local pet shops even had  stuff for the dogs is they came in dressed up.

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 21:43:44 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2008, 21:51:10 »
I find 'trick or treat' obnoxious.  The sweet little 'darlings' round here, if you don't give, and the oiks are teenagers rather that young children.  You get eggs thrown all over your car.

It is a night I simply dread.

valmarg

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2008, 21:51:48 »
Sorry ladies.

It always makes me cross to hear people knocking my country in comparison to somewhere else.

If you can't stand the heat................

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2008, 22:00:52 »
Heard on the news that the police are out in south London as gangs are going round with knives celebrating halloween and robbing.  Went to the local shops, neighbours with my granddaughter in a cloak, no mask, about 4 pm and got a few sweets, but don't really agree with this custom.  Only went to people that I know and know me.  Also never give money 'for penny for the guy' as tell the children not to blow themselves up.  Perhaps I am a miserable old age pensioner.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2008, 22:05:17 »
I don't really mind them but the dog does go potty and I dare not open the door until the dog is put in the kitchen. I usually have some change ready but Lorna popped round tonight and said not to give them money. She had bought sweets and so I have a little pile of small bags of maltesers and some other sweets. Guess what?? Haven't had one knock at the door. I did hear a lot of voices earlier. Maybe it is because my bungalow still has a ramp, they probably think poor old dear will take ages to get to the door!!!!

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2008, 22:57:31 »
From what i have read history says the halloween tradition started over here but i have always associated it with America and Canada. when i first came to live here in the early nineties there was never no mention or indication of halloween celebrations, so imagine my surprise when i returned in 2002 to find the celebration of halloween being carried out over here. what i remember being the big autumn celebration was Guy Fawkes night.

but this is only my humble opinion it appears it was greatly reintroduced mainly for commercial reasons but as i said its only my opinion, please correct me if i am wrong.

PS as we don't celebrate it, i simply put out a sign saying Sorry, no trick or treat here. so far its been respected. and i don't understand why money is given i don't even give my kids pocket money so why a stranger, i will though keep a small tin of sweets around for the Christmas season in case of carol singers.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2008, 23:13:13 »
As I understand it it came from America and I have always thought it pretty senseless.

I don't mind the carol singers so much as they do not come that often.They still start the dogs off which drives me mad.

I am pretty hard on the carol singers,I tell them no,one verse is not enough.They know me now and I get a full rendition.

Wish I could live in the middle of nowhere.I never allowed my kids to go round bothering people and I wish others would do the same. :)

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2008, 23:15:11 »
We don't have trick or treaters as not so many children in the village - also a bit dangerous in the dark there is only two street lights.

But my pumpkin has been carved and has sat on the front porch all night. Quite proud of it - should do a good job of protecting the house.

I think the basis of Hallow'een starting over here comes from the celtic festival of samhain which marks the end of summer. Christians did a good job of adopting festival/celebration days of other religions to make them more palatable. Interesting to think that the carved pumpkin is a christian convert to keep all the bad spirits away on the eveing prior to All Saints Day.

anemone

• Half Acre
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2008, 23:19:00 »
Only one knocked on the door tonight - he was very polite. I was sad there weren't more, but perhaps that's because we were out early evening.

I love seeing the kids all dressed up in the streets having fun, here it's mostly little kids with their parents. Tonight we even saw one group with the adults and their pet dog dressed up, so it does happen here sometimes too :)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2008, 23:40:24 »
I don't know where it originated but it was certainly about in Scotland in the 1950's when I was a child, albeit my parents wouldn't let me go out. I had quite a few polite young visitors tonight who told jokes, sang songs or told stories in return for a handful of sweets. My dogs were fine with that, it's the insane Guy Fawkes stuff that winds them up.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2008, 01:23:12 »
Betula, I was NOT knocking this country, I was simply describing a celebration in another place, I said nothing derogatory about the UK as I did so nor did I say one word about here other than a small child came alone to my home  and it made me sad to miss a happier Halloween. I said it made me sad , n  ot mad and I didn't understand.I was not saying it was better or worse.I feel so sorry for the children here who miss all the fun

You have hurt me deeply ..  your remark about the fire which I took as a departure request has struck home very deep and frankly I  think it was cruel. I have given my all to the UK and shared all I have had on this forum .

I came on here to PM someone who was hurting and you have managed to send me to bed  sobbing my heart out and feeling  though I was something bad under a shoe. I cannot even gegin to tell you how bad you have made me feel.

Right now I don't even want to see this forum again incase I read another cruel message the same.

Too choked now..have to go..JeannineXX

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2008, 05:26:00 »
 I go to the door with a water pistol and let the little darlings have it, I think that is  a funny trick ;)

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2008, 08:44:12 »
Yes, this halloween nonsense came from America. It was never practised in this country before WW2.

The origin can be read about if you google "All Hallows Day" (1st November).

Strange that these religious festivals are more celebrated (for the wrong reasons) by non believers.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2008, 08:53:53 »
We weren't bothered at all this year. I don't mind the little ones doing it with discrete parents close by. I just object to the yobs jumping on the bandwaggon and using it as an excuse to be nasty.  >:(

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2008, 09:37:57 »
OMG there are some mardy people here. I think its great. Bit of a party atmosphere round here.

Ollie, good outfit. makes a change from the nurses one i suppose.

Mr Smith, how neighbourly of you. Just make sure you pull up your drawbridge before bed. Maybe electricute the door handle ?

Another thing how can a chat about trick or treat turn into a row ? Jeez.

Looking forward to next week for the fizz bangs, incredibly dangerous but I am looking forward to removing my bubblewrap for one night of the year.  Yay. ::)

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2008, 10:03:25 »

Another thing how can a chat about trick or treat turn into a row ? Jeez.

Seems we all have to walk on egg shells just lately.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 10:10:54 by froglegs »

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2008, 10:11:00 »

Flunky  --  won't you get cold ?   ;Dfloss x

floss x
Hertfordshire,   south east England

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal