Author Topic: bog garden plants  (Read 3161 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
bog garden plants
« on: October 31, 2008, 15:35:47 »
any ideas, folks..we have quite a large area, adjacent to our pond, always wet so would like some planting there, tried search with no resuts, thanks in advance  :)

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
Re: bog garden plants
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 15:41:32 »
Gunnera, purple loosestrife, indian rhubarb (Darmera), bog primulas, astilbe, the yellow one with the globe flowers  ???

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 15:48:07 »
MARSH MARIGOLD  ;D

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 16:29:23 »
I'm creating a bog garden too, but haven't got masses of space.  I have planted Hostas, Astilbe ('Fanal' has dramatic deep red flowers), ferns, primulas (including the giant cowslip, floribundae), rodgersia and rheum.  Will have to wait till next year to see how well they do. Also want to plant Iris sibrica in due course (it likes moist conditions, but is not a true water iris that likes sitting in the pond). If I had space I'd plant a giant gunnera for it's huge dramatic leaves.
Keep Calm and Carry On

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 16:34:37 »
sound good, apart from the gunnera, not enough room, I like the idea of the primrose and iris, I'd like some colour..thanks for these ideas, off for a google..are there any I should steer clear of, invasive or prone to slugs and snails, we've a thriving population  ;D

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 16:49:41 »

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 16:58:51 »
thank you, thifasmom, I'm really excited now, an edible bog garden, i use lots of herbs and roots so, new ones are always exciting..plus, most are perennial..none are on the invasive list so, i just have to find somewhere that sells them, off for a trawl  ;D

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 17:33:44 »
Actea - a lot of dramatic plant for little space and hoverflies love it.  You can underplant with spring stuff like viola & depending on how boggy it is some of the bulb things ( brain frazzled but I love my bog garden).

Peace lily ( pic in my gallery) and for late colour Kaffir lily.

dang it's gone dark otherwise I'd nip out and post some pics.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 18:51:33 »
oooh, want to see pictures, I'm still having trouble sourcing them..when ray's better, we'll go for a look around some gc's  :)

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 19:56:12 »
sound good, apart from the gunnera, not enough room, I like the idea of the primrose and iris, I'd like some colour..thanks for these ideas, off for a google..are there any I should steer clear of, invasive or prone to slugs and snails, we've a thriving population  ;D
Slugs and snails love hostas, as you probably know, although the ones with blueish leathery leaves seem less prone to attack and coffee grounds are a good deterrent - so why not drink loads of ground coffee or do a deal with Starbucks, Costa or Coffee Republic?
Keep Calm and Carry On

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 17:41:55 »
I've got some 'Mind your own Business' Manics. It grows like moss and does well on any type of soil. I have some around my pond, its grown down the plastic to the waters edge and up and over logs and stones.

It does spread but is easily pulled up if it goes where you dont want it, except on logs. Let me know if you'd like some ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 18:23:17 »
thanks, star..we're okay now..I'm wondering if we could put some lily of the valley in ?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal