Author Topic: Vinca Minor  (Read 1701 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Vinca Minor
« on: October 30, 2008, 16:18:39 »
Any ideas why my Vinca Minor hasn't flowered well this year?  It's a couple of years old (grown from a cutting) and is in the sunny border where it gets a bit of dappled shade from the taller plants.  The other flowering plants around it have been fine.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
Re: Vinca Minor
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 17:39:56 »
    I don't know why yours doesn't flower, but my Vinca major don't flower because I pull it out in bag fulls and burn it.  :-[

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 21:08:07 »
 Same here its a flipping pest.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 23:01:24 »
Which is why I grow the minor variety.  ::)   Can anyone help?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 12:05:20 »
Are you overfeeding it or is the soil too rich? The most prolific ones I have seen are in council planted areas on industrial estates or around supermarkets. Usually this soil in these areas is very poor and full of rubble, so it would be very well drained and lacking in nutrients.

Although it begs a question.........I have seen others planted in shady garden borders doing wonderfully well

http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/arr_html?Vinca+minor

http://www.findmeplants.co.uk/plant-vinca-minor-1436.aspx

These links may be helpful ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 17:36:33 »
Thanks Star.  It's certainly not overfed as the border only gets a handful of chicken pellets in the spring if I remember, and I know I forgot this year!  I just can't understand it because it's supposed to be such an easy plant, tolerating most conditions.  I'm growing it as ground cover next to the Verbena Bonariensis and Ox-eye Daisy.  Perhaps it's just 'one of things'?

G x

star

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 20:01:43 »
It may well be Georgie, how long has it been in situ?

It may well just still be 'bedding in' if it hasn't been there long. Failing that......put it somewhere you really dont want it. It'll surely go absolutely mad just to annoy you 8).

OR........you could just shout at it ;D ;)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 20:07:35 »
It may well be Georgie, how long has it been in situ?

It may well just still be 'bedding in' if it hasn't been there long. Failing that......put it somewhere you really dont want it. It'll surely go absolutely mad just to annoy you 8).

OR........you could just shout at it ;D ;)

LOL!  It's been in situ for two seasons now.  Couldn't you just come round and shout at it?  I'm sure you'd do a better job of it than me.  ;)  ;D

G x

star

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 20:34:34 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D Course I will........but it has been known that I scare plants.........to death 8) ;D ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal