Author Topic: CANNA QUESTION  (Read 1129 times)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
CANNA QUESTION
« on: October 30, 2008, 22:55:31 »
What is the best way to store cannas during the winter. I have two lovely big plants that have just gone black due to the frosts. I would like to try to keep them for use next year.

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: CANNA QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 23:00:05 »
According to the RHS:

'Cannas are lifted after the foliage has been blackened by frost. Remove dead leaves and loose soil and store in trays of sand, coir or vermiculite, with the crown just showing. Keep just moist in a cold, frost-free greenhouse or conservatory. Container-grown plants can be stored in their pots.

Plants can be risked outdoors in well-drained soils in the mildest regions by protecting the crown with a thick layer of dry winter mulch such as bark.'

Hope this helps.   :)

G x

'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
Re: CANNA QUESTION
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 00:22:12 »
I have left mine outside for the past two seasons and they have flourished.  Having said that, my garden is in London which is relatively mild and they are growing through a weed suppressant membrane and a layer of gravel. I wouldn't risk it if I lived in the countryside or further north.
Keep Calm and Carry On

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal