Author Topic: RoseHip Syrup  (Read 9078 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
RoseHip Syrup
« on: October 28, 2008, 02:07:20 »
Hi Guys,

http://homecooking.about.com/od/fruitrecipes/r/blfruit9.htm

I went to the lotty at the weekend and noticed that the hedge by my plot which i need to cut back has masses of large rosehips on and i was going to help myself to a few :)

I found this recipie for rosehip syrup and i was wondering how long it might last for??

I dont have the patients for making Jelly :(

oh, can you just use any rosehips??

Cam

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
Re: RoseHip Syrup
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 08:18:32 »
I made some years ago and it lasted about two weeks because they kept pouring it on their porridge and wanting rice pudding to put it on.

However I am told that it 'keeps' for ages. A bit like jam with the high volume of sugar.

Not good for the teeth though.

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 08:43:20 »
Cam - on that link you gave it suggests that the tastiest for eating purposes come from the Rosa rugosa variety.
twinkletoes

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 17:52:57 »
I just watched Gardener's World which I recorded and hadn't watched and Alys makes rosehip syrup but she said to strain it twice after letting the liquid settle the second time to get the hairs out.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 13:44:58 »
I belong to the generation that was sent out collecting rosehips, and some organisation, forget its name, gave us something like 1/2 penny per punnet. Seemed like riches in early fifties. We got free rosehip syrup to give us vitamin C, so I suppose someone had to collect the rosehips.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 13:48:09 »
http://www.galensgarden.co.uk/herbs/rosehip.php

"Rosehip syrup was an important source of vitamin C for children during World War II.  English children were paid 3d per lb for rosehips harvested in the autumn to be made into rosehip syrup by the company Delrosa in Wallsend (near Newcastle)..  For many years after the war, Delrosa brand Rose Hip Syrup was supplied along with Delrosa Orange for babies, through baby clinics throughout the UK."

We were robbed! I was brought up in Scotland.....

tilts

• Acre
  • Boom Boom boom Boom Esso blue!
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 14:25:03 »
Careful!  I made some when the children were little and it fermented!!!
Tread softly or you'll tread on my dreams.....Yeats

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 17:58:22 »
Heard something on the radio yesterday saying rosehip has been shown to be good for arthritis.Can't find a link, but found this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1984024/Rosehip-better-than-painkillers-for-arthritis.html

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 18:01:04 »
tried a rosehip supplement, didn't work for me..litozan..before you use it, ask me, I've half a bottle left, cost a bomb  ;D

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 09:12:22 »
We used to have a spoon of Delrosa rosehip syrup every day when I was little.  Is this brand still about artichoke?
twinkletoes

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 12:37:11 »
tried a rosehip supplement, didn't work for me..litozan..before you use it, ask me, I've half a bottle left, cost a bomb  ;D

Yes after seeing the price of the Litozan I thought I'd grow some Rosa rugosa at my allotment. Everybody is different so that doesn't tell me whether it would work for me, a lot of people find Ibruprofen works, but for me the glass of water is more useful.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 13:18:31 »
well, at least if you make your own rose hip syrup, you know what goes into it  :)
just been to look, ray's thrown them out  ???

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 14:47:31 »
I used to make this some years ago and found it  was best after the hips had had a good frost.. but it was a race to get them before the birds did, we used Rugosa roses XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 01:43:45 »
I remember having it when I was little. Lovely stuff.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal